2 days old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sarjeanp, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Hi guys. So, I have been wanting to get chickens again. So, my son and I went out and picked out 11 girls. I had full grown hens before, 3 of them, I raised from a few weeks old. These girls I was told are 2 days old. I have the red bulbed heat lamp over them right now, but it doesn't seem right. I feel like it's either not close enough, or I swear, I am going to cook them. I can't find an in between. The metal on top of the tub they are in, is getting very hot, but when I put my hand in with them, it's very warm, but not HOT, does that make sense? I just need some guidance on this heat lamp thing. I feel like I am not going to sleep tonight, between cooking them, or a fire starting from it. ACK.

2. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Preserving Orpington Bantams

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Do you have a thermometer you can put in there?

How are the chicks acting? All huddled under the heat source, clinging to the sides of the brooder or spread about?

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  3. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    They were huddled under the light when it was mainly shining on one side, so I Googled, and found that that means they're cold. So I lowered the lamp to the next rack level, which basically shines on the entire tub, and I feel like it's too much. They went from huddled, to now, spread out and chirping, but a few of them are falling asleep? I am VERY green at newborns. I know they need darkness to sleep, so they will still sleep with this light on them all night? It's a 250 Watt bulb. Do you keep yours on overnight?

4. ConnieA

ConnieA Songster

Mar 9, 2015
    Yes, keep the heat light on all the time. Chicks need heat, and will sleep in the light.
    I agree with MagpieDucks. You will want a thermometer in there...good to know the heat level for the chicks and it will also reduce your stress level! You might want to drop back to lower watts if it's too hot. I use a 75 watt on one side of my brooder, and the chicks still walk into the cooler area occasionally. In the warmest area of the brooder I aim for 95 degrees Fahrenheit the first week, and drop it by 5 degrees Fahrenheit per week until the temperature in the brooder is the same as outside the brooder.

MagpieDucks and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  5. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Thanks guys. I will find a lower watt bulb tomorrow. I don't plan on babies for another 6 years at least. When my mom lived here, she had about 10 ladies in the coop ( beautiful, large, covered coop). I knew I wanted that many, so I got them all at once. I can get impulsive! I didn't even tell my husband.. surprise! To be fair, I have been talking about thinking about getting some, so he knew I "may" be getting a couple in the future. ha!

MagpieDucks likes this.
  6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I use a plug in dimmer to adjust heat with a 250 watt bulb. 20181125_080904.jpg . I hang the bulb 26 inches above the shavings. I Velcro a thermometer to the wall of brooder at floor level under the bulb. 20180902_075811.jpg . I adjust temperature by sliding switch. Much easier than raising and lowering bulb. GC

MagpieDucks likes this.
  7. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Thank you!

8. Justso

Justso Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    Another option is to use a heating pad rather than a hanging lamp. There are a few byc'ers who are very experienced in this option and you can find more info in the forums. From what I understand it's a lot safer then hanging heating lamp and the chicks can tunnel underneath the heating pad. It might give you peace of mind to check it out.

9. Chicksnmind

Chicksnmind Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Central Florida
    I put the thermometer to figure my temperature out. I had one panting in the incubator so I took it out and put it under the heat lamp. It still panted so I put the thermometer in there and found it was close to the same temps as the incubator so I raised it up until chick stop panting and went to sleep. They are comfortable at 94.6 degrees.

10. Justso

Justso Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicagoland DuPage Co
    How large is the tub you have them housed in? Maybe a picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: