2 days past due and still not hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kleber, Oct 14, 2011.

1. kleber

kleber Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    monterey area
    my asil eggs haven't hatched yet or at least all of them. only 2 out of 8 have hatched and they did 2 days after their due date. I open one of the eggs to see if they were dead but the chick was alive and i killed it by opening it. Should i wait a couple more days? the temperature has been at around 102 on average and was expecting the eggs to hatch early, but nothing. sometimes the temp would reach 109 so i don't know what is wrong here. can anyone tell me? one of my chicks was born with curled toes and doesn't open its eyes, the other is fine or so it seems so far. all eggs have a full formed embryo when candled.

2. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    If they were due two days ago, it might just be low humidity. If they are alive, keep them in because they can hatch up to the 25 or 26 day. Good luck:)

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    all you can do is wait...you may want to candle and see if any are moveing still or pipped internally. If your temps spiked to 109 it may have killed them at that stage of incubation.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:There's something wrong with your thermometer it is probably in accurate. If they are hatching late your temp is too low. I've been reading an article on hatching from OSU extension here is a chart on the things that could be wrong.
    Here is the link I'm having a heck of a time coping and pasting this

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b633/b633_4.html

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If the temperature of your incubator runs low then the hatch can be delayed by a day or two. Also, if your temperature runs high then the eggs can hatch a day or two early.

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I would leave them and monitor closely.... temps had to be running low for this to happen...not high....good luck and keep us posted.....[​IMG]

7. KandiandJerry

Quote:I would like to know how you helped and if the yolk sac had absorbed etc....this could also give us a clue as to what is going on.....I did this one time...saved four chicks and had one die (yolk sac had not been absorbed) ...I would have probably done the same thing you did....to see what was going on...it happens......but we need some more info on the lost chick to help you determine what to do about the rest......have they pipped or anything? Also what is your humidity? Is there a possibility that it is not high enough? I am so sorry that you are having to go thru this...and hope everything works out....just know everyone here supports you....[​IMG]

8. kleber

Aug 12, 2011
    monterey area
    the humidity is at around 35%.. im trying dry incubating a i should have had 100% hatch rate if they had hatched on the due date. the eggs that are still in the incubator are still alive. the egg i opened had a fully developed chick but had the chalaza still attached and the yolk had not been absorbed. i disposed of it because i figured i had killed it but it was still moving a little bit. one of the two chicks i manage to save had the yolk almost fully absorbed, so they survived, but one of them has curled toes, his neck seems crooked and can't open his eyes. I'm thinking im gonna have to put him down. right now i will try to increase the humidity as high as posible to see if it helps and i hope the rest(4 eggs) hatch.

9. KandiandJerry

Yes, definately try to increase the humidity....I would try for at least 60 to 70 percent....keep us posted...[​IMG]

10. kleber

Aug 12, 2011
    monterey area
    i just added a bunch of water cups to increase the humidity. hope it works.
    and here is a picture of the deformed chick that survive. its sad that he is the way he is and i don't know what to do with him.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by