1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 days sick hen, maybe gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarredRock21, Sep 8, 2010.

1. BarredRock21

BarredRock21 New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    I thank you in advance for your help with this matter. I have a sick hen, have started an anitbiotic for possible respiratory infection, and have given a small shot of Apple Cider Vinegar, and also tried olive oil in case it's a swollen crop. Her crop feels 'sandy, or gritty', and frankly I am not sure if this is normal or not, I know they need the grit to chew their food, but does the grit always remain? I don't know how to tell the difference between described "doughy" feeling in the crop if it's impacted, versus this sandy feeling. Either way, she has not eaten, and has liquid poop. Anything else I may be missing...oh, of course, the gasping for air! she is always gasping it seems, and that what makes me question whether it is sour crop or gapeworm. I don't want to deworm if it's not necessary obviously. Could use some advice. Thank you....
    I just went to check on her and to try a couple things. She passed after I tried to make her vomit. This is 2 seperate times I have tried that with both birds dying. I don't know if I am the leading cause, but either way, I don't suggest doing it since I am having those results. I thought I would check since she was gone, and her crop was totally full of bird seed, the kind I offer to wild birds, with sunflowers and peanuts. She must have gotten into some of it and couldn't digest it maybe. Either way, that lead to gasping, and the end result of death. Grit, isn't necessarily grit I guess...could be bird food/mash as well.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Did you check her throat for gapeworm? They will be red in color "Y" shaped worms. I'm very sorry for your losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by