2 dead chickens. hypothermia not treated properly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hillsboroughnb, Feb 4, 2015.

1. hillsboroughnb

hillsboroughnb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    new brunswick canada
    Hi. We have had some -30 days and nights. First chicken was frosty so I brought her inside,(gradually) gave her food and water. She drank a lot and seemed to be better for a couple days,then suddenly died. What did I do wrong? :(

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. hillsboroughnb

Aug 25, 2014
    new brunswick canada
    Update: I have a second chicken going through this,had a day of semingly all better, now has gone completly limp and shuttering HARD every 15 minutes or so. What is wrong!!

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Bring chickens indoors, put them somewhere warm like 85* or on heating pads. Dropper feed them warm water with electrolytes. Give us more info on coop conditions and how chicken got frost on it. You could also offer a little boiled or scrambled egg. The most important thing to do is get them warm, dry and get fluids in them. Keep posting! [​IMG]

4. hillsboroughnb

Aug 25, 2014
    new brunswick canada
    the second chicken died today:( thanks for the advice though..

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The hypothermic bird should have it's temperature stabilize before giving oral fluids. Then it shoul have it's hydration corrected before giving food. Give warmed fluids orally via tube a 30ml per kg. Wait 60-90 minutes and repeat if crop has cleared.

-Kathy

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I'm sorry to hear that :( Well, if it happens again, you'll know better what to do. Casportpony's advice is more thorough (better) than mine. You might still post about how they got hypothermia. Coop conditions, bedding, waterers, feed, age of birds, ventilation, etc. That way, we may be able to help you prevent another case. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. hillsboroughnb

Aug 25, 2014
    new brunswick canada
    They are on hay and shavings. They have roosts and a loft to go in. They are watered once a day so it doesnt freeze,all the birds are 2 years or less. They do have a red light in the coop.
    Im not sure how to properly ventelate in the winter.. first winter with chickens! Temperarures are normally -20 to -30 this winter.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When temperatures are that cold, they MUST have water 2 times a day. A thirsty chicken will not eat enough feed to keep their body warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by