2 Dead Chicks: Dehydration?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Salt and Light, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Woke up this AM to two dead chicks. Actually 1 dead chick and 1 dieing chick. They had water when I went to bed but it was empty this morning. Is it probable that the chicks died from dehydration? [​IMG]

2. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Another dead chick. That's 3 this morning. At what point do I call the hatchery?

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    They are most likely not dead from dehydration overnight only. You don't give enough info to venture any other guesses.

4. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    Are they overcrowded, and bunching up and or to stay warm? How many do you have in the bunch? Not uncommen to have some loss in baby chicks.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow, a lot of questions need answering, but first, much sympathy!

How old?
    What temp?
    How long without water?
    What bedding?
    What food?
    How long was shipping time?
    What condition were they in upon arrival?
    Did they travel through any areas of extreme cold on the way?

There are many things that can cause death in shipped chicks. Be sure your conditions for brooding are perfect before calling the hatchery.
    Hope the rest will be okay.

6. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    27 Freedom Ranger chicks. Kept in the garage in a very large storage bin. Plenty of room for them to roam from one end to the other. A 100 watt heat lamp in over head. The chicks were not bunched together when I walked out this morning. I've had the chicks for 1 week and 1 day. They eat 20% starter from the feed mill. They are on pine shaving bedding

Nothing is different about the way I'm raising these chicks as compared to the last 3 batches EXCEPT THE FOOD. This is the 1st time using fresh ground feed from a mill.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  7. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    Ok. I beleive this may be out of your control? Looks like you know what your doing. Hope things straighten for your little guys. I can get very dishearting.

8. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Thanks "Tornado"; It is disheartening. At first I blamed myself for letting them run out of water. But when two chick died later in the day, I knew it couldn't be the water. It was sad because I was holding one when he died, right in my hands. I don't know why it's sad because one day I'm going to kill them all, but I guess just because they are babies. I hope no others die. So far they are all doing good. It just seem weird that I would lose 3 in one day.....

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    it is kind of weird to loose three in one day suddenly. for precaution I would give a dose of PVS in the water.

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    wait a minute, I see you are in Florida, how hot is it there? what are thetemps in your garage and under the light?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by