2 dead hens and a wet butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Parkerchick, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parkerchick

Parkerchick New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Though my subject one liner could be taken as funny....I have a serious issue. I am a new mother of a 4 chicken flock(3 hens and 1 rooster) and I have quite the dilemma. I got up yesterday morning and 2 of my hens were together in one nesting box breathing deeply and acting very lethargic. I woke up this morning and 2 hens are now dead. (1 in the nesting box and the other in the bottom of the coop in the corner). I have not changed anything in their diet. They get scratch and feed and fresh water daily. I also clean poo every day and put fresh straw in atleast 2x a week. They get fresh fruits and veggies every day atleast once a day. My other hen does appear to have a wet butt due to diarrhea.
    I am honestly at a loss. They have been producing well up until about 2 days ago. I know that weasels have a tendancy to come in and slit necks....but I checked both dead chickens and they are without a scratch. I am going to out local feed store to treat my last hen and rooster with antibiotics...but I would like some answers. Anyone have any direction or suggestions?
    Thanks for your time,
    Concerned Chicken Mama
  2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    So sorry.. If you post this on the 'Emergency & Disease thread" you will get some answers off some very experinced people and good luck. Tracy x
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by