2 dead hens in a month!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2011cmorris, Mar 8, 2015.

1. 2011cmorris

2011cmorris New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    In the last month we have had 2 of our girls die, I don't know what is causing it. They have been just fine, then we are finding them laying down dead. I don't know what is going on. They don't get out to free range every day since we have a bad coyote problem. They always have plenty of water and high quality layer feed. I'm at a loss as to what it could be. They are only a year old.

2. Bukbuk Betty

Bukbuk Betty Out Of The Brooder

That's frustrating, for sure. Are you finding them face up or face down? My understanding is that face-up usually indicates a heart attack. My advice would be to get in touch with your county extension office or vet to find out where you can send them for post-mortem tests. In Canada these are free, I've had them done on broiler chicks. Sometimes the folks in the labs are very helpful even if you don't send in the birds. If that's something you are interested in, and you lose any more birds (and I hope you don't) put the dead in ziploc bags in the freezer until youre able to ship them. The labs give specific instructions for shipping and ask for a hsistory\circumstances. I hope that is helpful to you.

3. 2011cmorris

2011cmorris New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    They have both been on their sides. I have never heard of a place like that. I live in Washington state. I threw them away. I'm hoping I don't get another one, but if I do I will definately look into that! Thank you!

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The following link is provided curtsy of Metzer Farms.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Save this link because it lists (as far as I know) all the state poultry labs in the US.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by