1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 dead hens in one day

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raiford921, Dec 29, 2013.

1. raiford921

raiford921 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    I believe that my hens died of different causes. One had runny yellow poop and was very lethargic the day we left or Christmas out of town, she died today. The other hen died today in a nest box and had no symptoms. Her vent is almost purple and there was a sign of poop and broke soft eggshell in it. Another hen just hatched 6 chicks last night and I have 17 hens and a rooster left. Concerned and wondering what to do. Can't afford a vet to look over all my chickens.

I've red the yellow runny loop thread that described blackheads. What exactly is it (technical name)? I see nothing on YouTube which I get a lot of info from and this site as well. Sorry if I jump back and forth, I'm a bit befuddled right now.

2. raiford921

Jan 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is the vent of the hen found dead in the nest box with poop and what appears to be part of a soft shell

3. Squishychick

Squishychick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Egg yolk peritonitis comes to mind. If you still have her body you might be able to check for it by wetting and seperating the feathers on her abdomen and looking for a yellow colour.

4. raiford921

Jan 6, 2013
    @Squishychick, thanks I'll look in the a.m. What would cause it and what can prevent it.

5. Squishychick

Aug 20, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I am not an expert on the subject, but if you do a search for it here on BYC you will find plenty of info.
    I don't think there is much you could have done about it, some people try to treat it with antibiotics, but usually all that does is buy them a bit of time as most cases relapse.

6. Squishychick

Aug 20, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I doubt that it can be prevented unfortunately.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do a necropsy and if it's blackhead (histomoniasis) the liver will have spots on it, if it's repro, you'll be able to se that, too.

[​IMG]

Liver and cecal pouches
    [​IMG]

Contents of cecal pouch - black liquid poop, NOT normal!
    [​IMG]

Inside of cecal pouch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liver with the blackhead spots and I think the black edges are necrotic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. raiford921

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks Kathy, I saw that thread and that's what lead to me thinking it may be blackhead. Now I'm looking to see what I can do to prevent further loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by