2 dead hens in the last few weeks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzyq11411, Feb 14, 2013.

1. suzyq11411

suzyq11411 New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    So this morning i went to let my hens out of the coop(14 hens and 4 ducks). One hen was dead there was no sign of illness prior to this. My husband had just cleaned the coop out yesterday! (we use pine shavings for the floor) We do take the old shavings and spred them out in the pen. We have 4 ducks in with our hens but they leave them alone. We shut them up at nite so no critters get them. We do have some that pick on each other, these hen had an apron on because of the picking (and if they r picked bloody we separate them). Her butt was indented kinda caved in. If that helps explain it. Alot of our hens have no feathers on their butts. But it is winter so i just kinda figured it was because of the cold. A few weeks ago same thing my husband went to let them out in the morning and a hen was dead. I have know idea what we r doing wrong they get fresh water 2 times a day clean the coop out weekly fresh food daily. We r still getting half a dozen of eggs a day sometimes more. I sell and eat my eggs but if my hens r sick i don't want to sell the eggs or eat them! They r not walking funny they eat fine, run around in the pen just fine. We don't let them roam outside of the pen( due to critters) HELP i don't want to loose any more hens it will break my husbands heart. We feed our birds sratch and nature wise feed and orster shell.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG]Sorry for your lose. You should inspect your hens for mites and lice as bare butts is a warning sign. Also you may need to worm them and re-worm them 10 days later to make sure they are healthy. If they are fighting parasites it makes them more vulnerable to diseases that can kill chickens with no obvious signs. Good Luck.

3. suzyq11411

suzyq11411 New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks im heading to the feed store now to get stuff worming and lice i will let u know [​IMG] I dont want to lose any more !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by