2 dead, more ill, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shalott, Oct 20, 2013.

1. shalott

shalott New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    We have had a backyard flock for one year.
    Last week one of our 5 Golden Comets died. I didn't think much of it at the time because she was always weak, often laid soft-shelled eggs, and we bought her as an adult so never knew how old she was. There were no obvious signs of illness.
    But since then we have noticed chickens with white blisters or wart-like growths on their faces. Today one of our 2 Marans died. She had been slowing down the last few days. Her face was so covered with the growths that her comb was completely white and her eyes were so swollen they were nearly shut. She molted over the last few weeks and her feathers were just starting to look pretty again when her face broke out.
    Our other Maran has also developed the growths and the other Golden Comets have started showing signs as well; white spots on their faces.
    I have not been able to find a match in the lists of poultry diseases I have read online and in books. If you know what this is or what to do please share! Can we save the other hens?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

i really dont know whats wrong, im subscribing to find out. i will pass this on to a couple of my friends to try and assist you.

3. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    ok i passed this on to a couple of friends, and a couple of people i consider experts. i hope they can help. someone should be along before to long.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Shalott: Have you seen any mites on your chickens? If so, purchase ivermectin pour on and put 6 drops on bare skin on the back of their necks. Frontline should work as well. Also, I recommend that you open the mouths of your sick birds and look for lesions. If you see any, post here again with a photo or two if you can.

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    thank you for answering dawg - will mites cause the bumps around the eyes? if so i have never seen a case like this. but im sure there are alot of things i haven't encountered yet.

6. shalott

shalott New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks for your interest, help, and ideas. I'll check for mites and lesions tomorrow and report.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That's just really awful! I really doubt it's Marek's . Usually Marek's birds waste away looking happy.

Have you gotten any new birds?

I hope Dawg is right and it's mites instead of some awful infection.

It's spread in your flock. So it could be bugs, could be a new chicken bringing in a disease, or environmental. Is there something in their area that's toxic?

I'll pm one of my chicken-scientist members.

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im glad im not the only one who was stumped by this.

9. ten-acre-farms

ten-acre-farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    I don't know I'll do some research to bit check for mites, that would be my first guess.

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    When I hear wart-like bumps on the head or anywhere else on the body sounds like Fowl Pox to me. The virus can be airborne or spread by mosquitos. There are two types, wet pox and dry pox. Dry pox will show scabbed bumps on featherless parts of the body. It usually runs its course in 3 weeks according to what I've read. Antibiotics/vitamins in the water are supposed to help prevent secondary infections. So it may be the secondary infection which killed the birds. Sometimes lesions can appear in the throat that look like canker and have a scrambled egg appearance. They are supposed to stink and cause Coryza type symptoms. I believe you are dealing with a pox virus. I haven't had this problem but know some people who have. If you can get a necropsy done, do so as soon as you can. There is a Fowl Pox vaccine that is to be used on birds over 3 weeks old. I'm sorry for your losses. I hope you get to the bottom of this.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by