2 dead Polish out of the blue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Minniechickmama, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    This is starting to worry me. In the last week I went out and found a Polish pullet dead in the brooder pen. I was out there a couple of hours earlier looking in on them and everyone was fine. Then this morning, my son goes out to do chores and another one is laying dead in the brooder pen. The first one I though, must be they got messing around by the waterer and she got injured. Now the second one was in the same place. There is nothing there for them to get trapped under or around, and everyone seems healthy and active, so I don't know what the heck to think!
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this? There are no predators either, they get locked into the garage at night and it is completely safe in there.
    HELP! I want to get rid of my Polish, but not this way, and it has been pullets both times, and both of the ones I actually did think of keeping around. Murphy's Law strikes again!

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

This is a mystery... wish I had an answer for you ? [​IMG]

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    It could just be the heat. I lost four over the last 2 weeks. It was devastating.

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't think it is the heat, though thanks for bringing it up. None of them seem to be under stress or any noticeable signs of it. Nobody else is looking like there is anything wrong either. I looked up Acute Death, but it usually occurs with broilers who are bred to be eating machines that grow at accelerated rates. This isn't anything close to what they guys and gals are.

5. TiaView

TiaView Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Salem
    This happened to me with my black sex-link chicks. It was cocci. I gave the survivors powdered milk and they all did fine after that....hope this helps.

6. I mysteriously found my only polish chick dead the other morning....

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    These are 2+ months old that are dying without any signs of anything wrong with them. I need to get them outside, but I have another days work in finishing their pen so they don't get the begeebers beat out of them by the other big chickens.
    Hoping to have them outside to see if everyone will be okay after that. I haven't had any other issues like this until now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by