2 deaths.... devastated owner - please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Harris1986, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Harris1986

Harris1986 New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    We brought 5 bantam hens 8 months ago which were around 6 months old.
    They live in a good sized coop, live on pellets, mash and fresh veg and their water is changed daily and their coop is cleaned weekly.
    2 weeks ago one of our regularly broody hens had spent a few days in the nesting box (we dragged her out for food and water twice a day) I then realised she didn't look right, her eyes were glazed over, lifeless and refused to eat so we kept her overnight inside. She also had watery poop.
    When I came back from work the next day she was dead.
    We did a deep clean in the coop, chucked out the food, change the water bedding everything.
    A couple of days ago I noticed one of our serama hens looking funny, sitting in the corner, eyes shut, all puffed up and tail droopy so we brought her in and noticed she also had watery poop and tonight I came home and she was dead.
    They both died in the space of two weeks so I am so frightened they may have something that may spread to the rest off them.
    After the first one died we brought three new hens that are 6 months old, I am so worried they will get it, they are so young and I feel so responsible.
    If anyone could give me any idea as to what is wrong with my girls I would be extremely grateful.

2. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Did they have bloody poop at all? Could be coccidiosis

Also do their abdomens feel bloated or anything? That would suggest peritonitis

3. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    Can you get your regular vet to do a fecal test for you? They can test for cocci and worms. Mine won't treat chickens but they will do a fecal test for me.

4. Harris1986

Harris1986 New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    I haven't seen any poop with blood in it, there definitely wasn't anyway when we brought them inside. I'll have a closer look in the coop when I get home but there has been some diarrhoea and really watery poop. No they didn't feel bloated definitely not noticeably so. I have read about coccidiosis and thought the signs did sound similar apart from the bloody poo. How do I treat that? Would I need to get it confirmed it was that before treating?

5. Harris1986

Harris1986 New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    There is no bloody poo at all it all looks pretty normal. Could it be a coincidence that these two died in such a short space of time or does there have to be a reason for it that made affect the others? I don't think I could cope with being responsible for anymore deaths [​IMG]

6. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    From what you have described it does sound to me like egg yolk peritonitis, because that is a very common problem with chickens

However, chickens will often show the same symptoms for a lot of problems. Feel their crop and their keel bone - what does the crop feel like? Is there much meat around the keel bone?

Do you feed them oyster shell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by