2 different humidity readings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by key west chick, Oct 29, 2008.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    The sensor up near the lid is reading 53.8%. The cheap gauge at the bottom where the eggs will go is reading 45%.They both are accurate outside the incubator so its obviously different percentages inside. Should I believe the one on the bottom more since thats where the eggies will be? If so, I need to bump up the humidity more. This is a forced air bator so I hoped it would have maintained humidity a little better.

2. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    What kind of bator do you have?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would think a forced air would make the humidity more uniform throughout. It wouldn't hurt to bump the humidity up some. 53% is still kind of low.

4. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Its a Brinsea pro 20. Eggs should be here this afternoon. I bumped the humidity up a little, hopefully it will work its way to the bottom.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A normal hatch range is 50-60% humidity, and dry is about 35-45%. People use both methods with success, so if you can't get it to come up some, don't worry about it. I just like to keep it a bit wetter in the winter, since it is so dry anyway.

6. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I bumped it up a smidge. Its running at 56% right now.Think I'll leave it. Thanks, never incubated before!

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Not a problem [​IMG] Incubating isn't as hard as it seems!! It is all the self doubt that we put on ourselves. As long as you follow the guidelines, there is really not much to it. I had 12 of 13 eggs hatch out my first try, and I thought I messed up big time!! But these were my own chickens eggs, so I'm sure that helped. Good luck!!

8. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I normally just let my chickies hatch a few of their own every year but these are different.I've had this bator for about 4 years and have never used it! Talk about a waste of $$$!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by