1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 diffrent problem! Blood in poop and on coop floor, and inactive bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by a123andpoof, Jun 6, 2011.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay first and what I think most serious. I have 24 chickens and yesterday I went into the outdoor pen and their was blood in one of the chickens poo. I went into the coop this morning and I saw more blood...alot of blood well more then you would think was in poo unless thats all it was pooping. I don't know which one it was. I inspected as many birds as I could and I found no traces of blood on any of their vents or their bodies. They all seem their active pesty selves. They are 12 weeks and 2 of them are 9 weeks. But the young ones seem just fine.

Okay my next chicken is a frizzle, she is very inactive unlike her sisters. And I feel like she's maybe getting worse. She mostly just haunches up and sits alot of the time. For the first month or so when their was a barrier between her and the door she didn't go out. I just figured she couldn't fly over it like her sister due to curly feathers, but then she was always eager to go outside. She scratches a little and but then just goes and lays down. Yesterday along with a few other of the girls I took them out to free range a bit, she scratched for a while but then just layed down again. I went picked her up and put her in the pen with the silks. They got along great since she is extremly docile. She drank a little water and then just plopped down again. She seems to eat fine, but she still seems rather boney. Is that normal for a frizzle to be a little more inactive or is there something wrong with her?

Any help is much appreciated. I tried to put everything that may be helpful, but if I missed something please just ask!

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    could she be egg bound?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    She's been this way for a few weeks, but she has always been a little more inactive then the others..and isn't she to young to be egg bound? She's only 12 weeks.

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Blood in poops and lethargy may be signs of Coccidiosis. Please view the video mentioned below to educate yourself on Coccidiosis so you can better determine if this is what is affecting your flock.

Coccidiosis

Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection in which parasites frequently found in soil or bird feces infect the intestines of domestic birds, growing quickly. It can be fatal but any chicken surviving an infection will be immune to future infections. The video here may be difficult to watch, but is educational and shows how a symptomatic chicken behaves.

Medicated feed – grower feeds medicated with Amprolium do not prevent infection. Chicks receive low doses of medication to better manage infection once chicks are exposed. This gives chicks a better chance of surviving their initial infection and earning their natural immunity. Feed medicated feed until two weeks after chicks are put outside where they may be exposed.

Corid – larger dose of Amprolium used to manage infection. It is easier on the chicken’s system than other treatments, but does not treat as many strains.

Sumlet 12.5% Solution – this is Sulfamethazine, which is harder on the chicken, but effectively treats a wider range of coccidiosis infections.

If you are unable to find either of these locally, here is a pdf list of medications that may be used to treat Coccidiosis.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I am willing to bet its coccidosis

6. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay she is now in isolation. I watched the video, but it doesn't seem right...she has been lethargic for around 9 weeks not just a couple days. Please remembember she is 12 weeks. And I don't think the bloody poo is hers. Oh she did poo out pure white yesterday if thats any help.

7. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay, so I went to the local feed store and they gave me duramycin 10. She said it should clear it up. So I put the recomended dosage in. Will this help do you think?

Also can other animals get coccidisis?

8. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:That is an antibiotic for the treatment of respiratory infection and complications resulting from respiratory infections. It will do absolutely nothing for Coccidiosis if that is what your birds have (indicated by bloody poops). Your best bet would be Corid or Sumlet.

And I would call the store and tell the manager his employees are inappropriately dispensing medications, unless you told her something that made her think you needed to treat a respiratory infection.

9. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Quote:That is an antibiotic for the treatment of respiratory infection and complications resulting from respiratory infections. It will do absolutely nothing for Coccidiosis if that is what your birds have (indicated by bloody poops). Your best bet would be Corid or Sumlet.

And I would call the store and tell the manager his employees are inappropriately dispensing medications, unless you told her something that made her think you needed to treat a respiratory infection.

Agreed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by