2 doubles

cindy parker

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Sylvania Georgia
So I bought 12 cream legbars to hatch and managed to get two double yolkers. I know they are hard to hatch but I have no choice but to give them a shot. Wish me luck'
[/IMG]

That's a shame. With any luck, 1 will hatch. Twins almost never.
If it was local, I'd try to trade them back for 2 singles.

Last edited:
I think that's supercool!! There is a BYCer that had a double yoke hatch 2 babies. She had to assist with hatch and made a video of the whole thing!! It was awesome! Hold on, let me look for the link...

X2 on the good picture. It may be cool but avian embryos (or any egg laying species) don't have the same advantages as live bearers like mammals. These are just my thoughts that you can take with a grain of salt. (Salt that should go on those sunny side up double yolkers.)
There's a finite amount of space and nutrition unlike with mammals. There isn't twice the space or twice the nutrition. The yolks are usually smaller and less albumen.
If by some miracle they hatch, there will be long term effects from that. I understand the desire of some to experiment with twinning but If one is breeding chickens to improve them, those probably wouldn't be candidates for a breeding program. There's also the possibility that there would be a genetic propensity for double yolks in future generations.
That's just a guess on my part.
I understand the OP has purchased these and are a sought after breed. (at least I'd like to raise them if I had the room for another)

X2 on the good picture. It may be cool but avian embryos (or any egg laying species) don't have the same advantages as live bearers like mammals. These are just my thoughts that you can take with a grain of salt. (Salt that should go on those sunny side up double yolkers.)
There's a finite amount of space and nutrition unlike with mammals. There isn't twice the space or twice the nutrition. The yolks are usually smaller and less albumen.
If by some miracle they hatch, there will be long term effects from that. I understand the desire of some to experiment with twinning but If one is breeding chickens to improve them, those probably wouldn't be candidates for a breeding program. There's also the possibility that there would be a genetic propensity for double yolks in future generations.
That's just a guess on my part.
I understand the OP has purchased these and are a sought after breed. (at least I'd like to raise them if I had the room for another)
Thanks for that explanation. I have read that they seldom hatch, but never had such a good explanation of why, and the long term effects

Thanks for the info....however, I'm not hatching them for a breeding program or to better my program...simply hatching them because I want one as well as a few of my chicken friends as egg layers only. I don't own a rooster so I had to but eggs and she would only sell them by the dozen. These chicks are now due to hatch in 8 days so there is no way I can just throw them out. I took these pictures on day 5 or so. I candled them again last night but didn't take pics. They seem to be growing as expected as of now. If they die, them so be it, but I can't just let them go now. It's just who I am. Here is another pic...I thought I had sent three but only one came through.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom