1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

2 Drakes 2 Hens, too much for the Hens? Ducks in WI Winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I recently got four ducklings and I have two Drakes and 2 Hens. Will this be a bad situation for the Hens to keep both Drakes and will they fight? I don't want to stress the Hens out so wondering if the ducks work the same way as chickens when it comes to Roos vs Hen Ratios. And for winter care, can they live in a non insulated coop that is about 10X10 (four Pekin ducks) and be warm enough of should I put something smaller INSIDE that coop so they can cuddle in it? I hear ducks don't mind the cold as much but I'm in the middle of WI and it gets pretty darn cold, sometimes temps will reach a -35 degrees F What do you who live in the cold climates do with your ducks?

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Songster

Mar 12, 2011
    I have 3 hens and 2 drakes. Mine seem to do fine. You could get another couple of girls if you think you need to.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I'd for sure get a couple more ducks, drakes can and will be relentless in mating and wear the girls down fast for 2 drakes at least 3 or more ducks each, I have 2 Muscovy drakes one has 4 girls the other 3 and they are very happy. Ducks can take the cold pretty good since they wear down lol but just be sure they can get out of the wind and have a dry place to sleep with good ventilation.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I did just that :D Thanks for advice and it makes sense to have more then four anyhow! What was I thinking ;) I mostly wanted to 'test' it out to see if I could handle ducks around here. The answer was YES I could and they are adorable creatures! I wish I had gotten them MUCH sooner now. So my order of 12 ducks from McMurray will be here in a few weeks :D

Oh and we have a non insulated coop which we will fill with straw in the winter. They have their own very large fenced in yard so the roosters can't get at the ducks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  5. jessiduck

jessiduck Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    Good job! You're doing a great job! Follow the advice and you'll have sure success!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by