2 Drakes and a Hen...?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wornoutmomto3, Aug 23, 2014.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    We started raising chickens almost two years ago. In the spring my son had a keen interest in some ducklings, and I caved and bought three. Turns out two were drakes and one was a hen. The mating began close to a month ago and the hen started laying last week. I would like to allow her the chance to brood her own clutch. But I hear that Pekins aren't naturally broody and I believe she is a jumbo pekin. (She is larger than my RIR hens.) I would like her to go broody soon. Is there anything I can do to encourage broodiness? I already leave the eggs in the nest and she lays daily. Should I isolate her away from the drakes? They follow her everywhere. I think she enjoys all the attention. She is always calling to them.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Keep close watch - drakes can harm or kill ducks especially when there are fewer than three females per drake. At the same time, that is not the case universally. It seems to be the exception, though, for the female to be okay. Her well-being depends on you.

Sometimes Pekins will go broody, I hear, though usually they do not. If your heart is set on ducklings, I think I would either get an incubator or work out a trade with someone who has one and knows how to hatch duck eggs - there are differences between them and chicken eggs, some significant differences.

3. ak rain

ak rain Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    I have 2 drakes and 2 hens. Welsh harlequins just getting to adult size

Well I have to cull a Drake? I'm ready but hoping not to. My first time with ducks.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The broodiness of Pekin seems unreliable she may or may not .. as Amiga said though you are way overdraked and way under ducked... drakes should have a min of 2-3 ducks per.. otherwise over breeding and even fights among drakes can become at a risky level.

[​IMG]

5. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have noticed mating behavior happens once a day, usually in the morning. She has her favorite, not that both drakes don't try. I did manage to seperate her today, although she made every effort to stay with the others. The drakes didn't want to leave her side either. They sat just outside the pen for hours, just keeping her company. My question now is, will the drakes start going after each other now that she is not there?

The boys are pretty docile and polite. I can pick them up without any hostility if I need to. I can not say the same for my girl. She is a bit of a diva and doesn't like being handled at all. That being said I still don't want her to get hurt from all the extra attention. I also don't want the drakes hurting each other because they are hormonal males.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is largely up to them. Just keep watch, consider your options, such as adopting a few other females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by