2 Drakes one BIG Hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LemonDoodles, Jul 26, 2011.

1. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    We just found out that the two Pekins we have are boys. My family really wants a girl if it is possible. The boys are 5lbs and 7lbs at 14 weeks. Would it work if we got them a Jumbo Pekin hen? We were thinking that her size might help her handle them. Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she were as large as a goose, 2 on 1 is an accident waiting to happen. Separation or several hens might be the solution.

3. ElaineS585

ElaineS585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    Yes, don't do it. Her size won't matter, they'll still gang up on her and it won't be pretty and can do her serious harm or even cause her death. I had 2 male Rouens and 2 large female Pekins and the Rouens thought nothing of together ganging up on each of the Pekins even though the females were significantly larger than the males and it was really, really brutal. I finally had to separate the males from the females during this breeding season and the males called to them constantly terribly through the fence. Don't do it to the female -- it wouldn't be fair to her. There's a reason for having 3 or more females per drake and that's for the female's health and safety!

4. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Okay, then I definitely will not.

5. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    If you are still wanting female ducks get 4 or 5. Don't ever get one female for more then one male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by