2 Drakes one BIG Hen?

LemonDoodles

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Huntsville, AL
We just found out that the two Pekins we have are boys. My family really wants a girl if it is possible. The boys are 5lbs and 7lbs at 14 weeks. Would it work if we got them a Jumbo Pekin hen? We were thinking that her size might help her handle them. Thoughts?

If she were as large as a goose, 2 on 1 is an accident waiting to happen. Separation or several hens might be the solution.

Yes, don't do it. Her size won't matter, they'll still gang up on her and it won't be pretty and can do her serious harm or even cause her death. I had 2 male Rouens and 2 large female Pekins and the Rouens thought nothing of together ganging up on each of the Pekins even though the females were significantly larger than the males and it was really, really brutal. I finally had to separate the males from the females during this breeding season and the males called to them constantly terribly through the fence. Don't do it to the female -- it wouldn't be fair to her. There's a reason for having 3 or more females per drake and that's for the female's health and safety!

Back
Top Bottom