2 ducks and a showgirl, gender questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crystallane, Jul 14, 2010.

1. crystallane

crystallane Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    central florida
    I'm sorry these are not great pictures but it's raining and they won't cooperate. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Hard to say without knowing their ages - but I'm not seeing curly drake feathers on either of those. Honestly, the easiest way to tell is generally by their quack - females are a sharper retort-like noise and the guys sound like they have sore throats - very raspy.

3. crystallane

Mar 21, 2009
    central florida
    The ducks are about 2 1/2 months old and the showgirl is a little over 5 months. I know the quacks are different but I am still not sure what they are suppose to sound like. I thought they were both girls but I just saw one mounting the other, that's why I thought I would ask.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    showgirl looks like a pullet. If it's not showing a bigger comb at this point, judging by that fluff, I vote pullet. IDK about ducks though.

5. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:The male will sound like he's been smoking for a few years. The female will have a louder quack.

6. crystallane

Mar 21, 2009
    central florida
    They both sound the same to me. They both quack pretty loudly occasionally which is why I thought they were both girls. Could one girl try to mount another girl?

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Quote:I've heard that girls can mount one another as a dominance thing if they both make a loud quack noise then they are both girls [​IMG]

8. crystallane

Mar 21, 2009
    central florida
    Thank you!

9. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    2 1/2 months is really too young at this point to sex. Keep an eye on those tails and your ear tuned to their quacks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by