2 ducks (drakes?) fighting

tiffany a

Hatching
Oct 11, 2020
Recently our family got ducks. they are about 4 months old and we think they are either one boy and one girl or 2 boys. Lately they have been fighting a lot. At first we thought it was mating, but we think it might just be pure fighting. The one that we know is a drake is the one always on top of the other. Any suggestions on if we should stop them and if they are going to hurt each other?

Are they full grown? What breed? Drakes have a quiet raspy type quack and curled feathers on the tail. (Pekin) We also have 2 drakes and we used to have a hen, but she ended up passing away. The males do tend to try to dominate each other and mate with the other. Its creepy.

Are they full grown? What breed? Drakes have a quiet raspy type quack and curled feathers on the tail. (Pekin) We also have 2 drakes and we used to have a hen, but she ended up passing away. The males do tend to try to dominate each other and mate with the other. Its creepy.
They are pretty much full grown (4 months old) pekins. their quacks are pretty high pitched and not raspy at all. One of them has a slight curl and the other definitely has a curl. Do your drakes ever hurt eachother? that’s what we are most scared of because it seems pretty aggressive.

Yes their mating is aggressive but they usually only do it when they are in the horse trough swimming, but then they eventually stop .

They are pretty much full grown (4 months old) pekins. their quacks are pretty high pitched and not raspy at all. One of them has a slight curl and the other definitely has a curl. Do your drakes ever hurt eachother? that’s what we are most scared of because it seems pretty aggressive.
Sorry I missed you said their ages lol. Silly me, but yes drakes are aggressive. Mine are to each other anyway, but like I said usually only in the water.

I had three drakes for many years (no females). They commonly would try to assert dominance each spring and the behavior would slowly improve over the summer. By assert dominance - they'd either get on the back of the other and pin him down -- if the loser was accepting that would be it. If the loser fought - they'd usually mate with them aggressively as well. They'd be fine over winter and the resume fighting for the number 1 spot in the spring, tapering off the fighting as summer progressed. No one ever sustained sever injuries but it was unpleasant to watch. We'd usually interfere if we were home and saw it. The worst two injuries were some feathers torn from ones breast once and another time, some feathers torn from the back of the head.

We unfortunately didn't do much research on ducks before we got them. Someone at TS in line lol..was telling us how aggressive they can get ( ie: mate with chicken hens) n how messy they are..that's for sure.Lol They have not attemted to mate with the chicken hens, but I hope that never happens. We for sure have a Olive Egger rooster now, so hopefully he'll keep them in line.

Back
Top Bottom