2 ducks killed overnight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BeckyS85, Jan 15, 2017.

1. BeckyS85

BeckyS85 New Egg

Jan 15, 2017
    Hi, I had 2 of my mandarins killed overnight :( 2 small piles of feathers and nothing else. While we were in the garden today we noticed some soil was loose, moved it and we found one of them buried. Later on we then found the other one buried on the other side of the garden. Any ideas what could have done this? There were other ducks in the area we found the second one so thought if it was a fox then it would have killed some of the others too. One was close to where we have previously had a rat hole (we have been putting traps out/shooting to get rid of them), could it have been the rats? Thanks.

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Well l would think it would have been a chayote or a fox but l don't know why they would not kill you he others, l don't know if a rat could pull that off

3. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Rats don't bury their prey. However, canids (which includes foxes, dogs and coyotes) and cats do.

My guess is a fox.

4. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I agree either a fox or a bobcat. It probably didn't kill the others because it was in a sense saving them for later waiting a few days until they are hungry.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

6. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Burying or caching a kill is usually the work of cats. Bobcat, lynx or even a mountain lion if those are around. Most likely a bobcat or lynx. It will be back for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by