2 Easter chicks ?? and a Banty?? Anyone know what breeds? Pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coloradochick, Mar 24, 2008.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    This is Cottonball, she came from the banty brooder at the farm store
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Cherry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Buster, he's got a faint black spot on the back of his head
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    There is a good chance to Easter chicks are male.
    I am basing this on the fact that some large hatcheries were only selling males that where colored, but it is possible that there was someone doing the females as well.
    They are cuties!

3. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Anyone have any ideas? [​IMG]

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The first chick looks like an easter egger, kinda looks girly to me. The second chick looks like a white leghorn male. The third one almost looks like a rhode island red or a new hampshire with the wing color.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think the first is a girl ee too.

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I think everyone is right so far, the middle one cherry looks like a definite male to me. But I also think the last one is male too.

7. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I think the silver one is a silky. I'm not sure about the others. None of them look like leghorns to me though. That dark red one looks like he was dyed a different color for easter. Never seen one like him before. It will be interesting to see what they turn out like. The last one I would call parti color or partridge myself, which could also be silky. But they are very cute. [​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:They aren't silkies, they don't have the correct number of toes, black skin, or foot feathering..

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    And they have regular feathers coming through.

10. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Thanks everyone, I kind of figured the last one to be a boy, he also has a faint black spot on the back of his head. Is that indication of a specific breed?

Cherry the middle one had pasty butt so bad it was almost a gonner a the farm store. The woman in charge of the chicks just picked Cherry and Buster up, grabbed hold of the pasty and pulled. OUCH!!! The little chicks screamed. She took quite a bit of down with the pasty. Then asked me if I knew how to care for baby chicks, because she was an animal rights activist and hated to see the chicks mistreated. Oh Okay........I almost said something but I didn't we saved two chicks. I wish we could've saved more..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by