2 eggs. 1 day. Both weird. 1 y/o barred rock

Samblast

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Central Maryland
Hi my 1 y/o barred rock laid 2 eggs this morning. They are both weird. She has laid these strange eggs in the past but not both in one day. She lives with 5 other 1y/o hens(2 barred rocks, 3 ISA Browns). There are 3 nesting boxes and lots of protein and calcium is in their diets. No other hen has these problems. Not even the 3 y/o hens in the other coop I have.any help on this would be appreciated.
2734B552-95BA-4FFF-A83D-498F1921808A.jpeg
E5AC0606-59A7-4204-8CAE-B620FC167620.jpeg

We had something similar happen with our Buff Orp at some point early in her laying career. Our eldest was molting so no eggs there and our Delaware lays super dark brown eggs but that day we got two light brown eggs from our Orp and they both looked slightly odd. I chalked it up to newness, but also thought I might have been crazy if I hadn't had the egg from the day before labeled with her name and date in the egg carton!

Ok that is good to know. This has happened before though with her laying eggs with the flat bands on. Its just strange since she laid 2 in one day and the non flat ringed one has a raised band.

So this was just caused by a delay in the system and nothing I should directly worry about?

It's probably nothing to worry about. She may only do it occasionally. I've got one that lays body checked eggs periodically, never had any other problems with her. Also have one that deposits pigment unevenly on the shell making rings on it, again no other issues with her. Looks like yours lays large eggs also, so that could be a contributor. Some say they are more likely to prolapse, or possibly get egg bound, but I've had a couple of hens that laid enormous eggs and never prolapsed or got bound.

Update: Again today she laid 2 eggs within one hour of each other. One has the band and the other still looks weird with a raised bump/band. Exactly what happened the other day. She didn’t lay yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom