2 eggs a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WAChickens, Jan 14, 2017.

1. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    Hello everybody!

I'm sure this question has been asked over 1,000 times but recently for the past two days my Easter egger has given me 2 eggs a day. She is acting normal and hasn't been acting strange recently. We have been having cold weather so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. She is the only one that has done this before, all of my chickens are 9 months old so could it be something to do with her age? She naturally lays tinier eggs personally so I don't think she is in pain at all. Should I do anything or is she sick at all?

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's VERY interesting... I'm sure she will be fine.[​IMG] She will probable stop doing it very soon.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yep, it can happen.....I have 10 Hens and a Rooster....Some days I have gotten 11 eggs...I just laugh and say my Rooster is laying too......lol.........

She is fine.....

Cheers!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you positive another pullet is not also laying?
    It's not unprecedented for a new layer to lay more than one, but it's not real common either.

Might be time to examine some butts.

Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

5. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    So far she has only given me one egg today, also I am certain that these are her eggs because she has a very distinct shape and color of egg compared to my other Easter egger. If I have to I will check her vent tonight. Also just to add they have already been laying eggs for about 5-6 months.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well that probably tells the tale then.
    Sorry, I missed her age before.
    It's odd that she would lay smaller eggs and 2 a day regularly...something's glitchy in her egg machine..

7. WAChickens

WAChickens Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2017
    Spokane Washington
    Thank you so much for helping me though! I'm glad to know that my baby should be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by