2 eggs in one day...2nd one rubber....?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karmical, Jan 15, 2008.

1. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    hiya!

I'm feeling more curious than worried about this one...has anyone else had this happen......?

I have 7 pullets...and in the last 12 hours I got 8 eggs. One of which was rubber and was found in the shavings directly under one of my SFs roosting when I got home tonight after dark, so I'm sure it's hers and that it's the second one she laid today.

Her eggs are very easy to identify...small, pink and matte...the "normal" one she laid today was WHITE for the first time though...and then the rubbery one, which was "pink". There's no yolk inside the rubber egg (as far as I can tell...I haven't opened it up), but I could see yolk in the shavings alongside it, so I'm assuming that's the yolk of it.

She's been laying for about a month now....pretty consistently. They get 16% layer crumbles along with grit and oyster shell free choice and BOSS every morning along with yogurt and usually some spinach to "play" with.

I'm guessing she's probably just working out the kinks of being a new layer(?), but still, thought I'd post and see if anybody had their two-cents worth to share [​IMG]

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I've had that happen. I had one pullet that kept laying odd shaped and/or wrinkled eggs with an odd texture, then 1 day I found a shell-less egg that had broken in the shavings. Another time I found a shell-less in a nest box, but and odd looking (very pale, odd texture) egg on the floor. I know that day produced 7 eggs from 6 pullets, I don't remember if there were 7 the first time.

My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that the pullet was young and her body wasn't into a good rhythm yet -- producing 2nd yolks/albumen, getting the membrane around them, but not able to put a shell on the second egg of the day. I could be totally wrong, but since they didn't include "2 eggs in one day" in any of my chicken books they left me up to my own devices.

3. karmical

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    since they didn't include "2 eggs in one day" in any of my chicken books they left me up to my own devices.

LOL...I agree! [​IMG]

I think what you said makes good sense. It'll be interesting to see what/if my girl that laid the 2 yesterday will lay today....

Thanks!​

4. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I wish I knew the answer. My girls have been laying pretty well for a few weeks now, but this morning I noticed an egg in the run today that had split apart. The shell was very, very soft and what's weird is there seems to have been two yolks, since one yolk appeared to be complete, but there was a little extra broken yolk off to the side. This has only happened once before, I think its my BR girl. I'll be curious to see if she lays another before the end of the day.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Could just be bodies getting adjusted. If oyster shell (calcium) available all the time?
    JJ

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:LOL...I agree! [​IMG]

I think what you said makes good sense. It'll be interesting to see what/if my girl that laid the 2 yesterday will lay today....

Thanks!

Mine kept right on laying every day. I rarely had any of the girls take a day off.

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Same thing here, I found one next to the nest boxes. it was ver soft, but rubbery. I was curious to see if it was fully developed inside so I took it up to the concrete patio and dropped it....IT BOUNCED! [​IMG] Like a rubber ball..it bounced!!! The of course it was so much fun for the kids..they were rolling it all over the place!!! It even bounced on ceramic tile!!! I cut it open and everything was normal in there!!!

8. karmical

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    I took it up to the concrete patio and dropped it....IT BOUNCED! Like a rubber ball..it bounced!!!

-Bec, that is HILARIOUS! I've been waiting to open mine up because my Mom wants to come over and see it...I'm going to try for the bounce!!!​

9. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    My luck, I would try to bounce it on my kitchen floor, and that whould be the time it broke, lol!

Dawn

10. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

LOL......I am curious to see if I am the only one with a bouncy egg!! just hold it out infront of you and let go....I just gently dropped it and it bounced and rolled under the patio table...lol....we did this a lot and it didn't break until I cut it with scissors....
    I didn;t tell my husband what it was...it was dark out and he was out in the barn. So I handed it to him and he gave it back and said "Eww..what the h**l is that thing??" LOL, so I told him and then he was curious...lol....

Brahma Mama- I see you have a Doberman too!!! I have 2!!! Thats cool!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by