2 eggs in one day, or maybe another hen is laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CandiceN, Jul 26, 2011.

1. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    I was happy to see an egg this afternoon from one of our 3 RIRs after not seeing one yesterday at all. I figured it was just because she's still quite young and I know they miss a day or two here and there. Then my hubby just told me he got one this morning before work! They look different. The one from this morning looks like the other 3 we've gotten since we got these hens last week, brown with a few white spots. The one this afternoon was smaller, and a smooth brown color.

I'm hoping this means we have 2 layers now, but perhaps the same hen layed twice today?? They were seriously noisy the past 2 days, honking and screaming at me. Today they are quiet except for the occasional bukbuk or random honk. I wonder if this is because one of the ladies was getting ready to lay her first egg? Were they giving her sympathy honks? [​IMG]

This is so much fun, learning about their behaviors and coop dynamics [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is probably a second hen laying. While it is possible the same pullet laid it, when they lay a second egg in the same day, the egg shell is usually thinner or maybe even soft on the second one. The shelll gland sometimes does not have enough time to get enough shell material ready for the second egg in one day.

Sometimes it takes them a while to get the kinks out of their internal laying factory, and a second egg in one day is not totally unheard of. It sounds like your first one has it pretty well worked out if she is laying a consistent egg. Congratulations.

3. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    yay! Thanks for the reply [​IMG] I guess we'll see if we get 2 eggs so close together again anytime soon, then we'll know for sure we've got another layer.

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Sounds like you have two layers to me too. Congrats! [​IMG]

5. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Sweet, thanks!

Well wow. My son just found another egg in the back corner of the coop (passed the float test). It's small and smooth like the 2nd one I found earlier. I didn't mention it but the one I found before was on the floor outside the nest box, but I just figured the hen didn't have her butt in the right place [​IMG] Maybe someone is learning! Luckily the coop is small, so it won't take much for me to check it for eggs when I go out. But yay!

Here are the 3 eggs we've got from today. I'm assuming at least one is from yesterday, if not 2. I'm also guessing the two smaller ones are from one hen and the larger one (which looks huge in the picture but is really about the same size as a regular store bought brown egg) is from the hen who has been laying since Friday. Not sure why the middle one is lighter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by