2 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by L&Schickens, Feb 23, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have 3 white leghorn hens and got 3 eggs this morning around 11:00. I just went out to check for more eggs, (I also got 2 Wellie eggs) thinking my Wellies might have layed another one for me, but there was another big white egg in the nest! [​IMG] I know for a fact there was no eggs in the nest last might. I checked the chickens after dark, as we went out and they were still roaming when we left. I checked the nest as well as to take a head count before I locked the coop for the night.
    Is it possible for a hen to lay 2 eggs in less then 12 hours? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. atzchicks

atzchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2008
    Tennessee
    There not supposed to I've been told, but I have one that does. She lays 2 about once a week during the same day and I know it's her because she was the only brown egg layer.

3. emandmikey

emandmikey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    I have one that lays two in one day everyonce in a while! Once she layed a HUGE 3 yolker, and then the next week she layed a 2 yolker! I think she layed 2 today though - interesting huh! Em

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I keep reading and hearing its not probable, but I've got one that does it every couple of weeks She normally lays 2 out of 3 days, but will skip one of her 2 days and then lay twice the next day, I know its her by the color and size of her egg.

5. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Good! Then I guess I am not crazy!! [​IMG]

6. atzchicks

atzchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2008
    Tennessee
    My little hen lays at least 1 almost every day except the day before she lays the 2. Every one kept telling me i was crazy that they don't lay that soon so I put her alone and I was right. Can you imagine laying that much so soon?

7. ginna

ginna New Egg

Feb 14, 2009
    We bought an incubator from an old man near us that said he has or had 2 little bantam hens that would more often than not give him 3 eggs a day between the two of them. I guess they would take turns.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It can happen but I would actually consider it a problem with that hen. Her egg making is not working how it should if it happens often and that will likely lead to either health issues or egg quality issues. A one time thing I wouldn't worry about but I probably wouldn't keep chicks from a hen that frequently laid multiple eggs unless they were perfect, always had a high hatch rate, and the hen laid for years without problems.

9. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    I had this happen to me over the winter i have 16 girls and I got 21 or 22 eggs. That was a Great Day!
    I was so impressed it hasnt happened since. But it was cool.

10. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    My golden comet hen stunned me one day, I went into the coop and she was crouched in the nesting bucket with her rear facing out. Right in front of me she laid two eggs, one right after the other. Never imagined they could do that. Still every once in a while we find 8 eggs from the 7 hens and I can only assume that it's that Golden Comet hen laying two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by