2 eggs in ONE DAY??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bleenie, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

When we collected eggs today we found 4 olive green eggs in the coops(main coop & a small private one with a single box). Normally we only get 3, because we only have 3 Olive Egger Hens. One of the eggs has a lot of extra calcium build up on it so I am wondering if maybe she didn't lay her egg last night and then did this morning and laid another later in the day?

Is that possible for her to "hold onto" an egg? I know it wasn't there yesterday. [​IMG]

2. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    I saw a post about this last night. Apparently someone had the same thing happen and they told them that they sometimes don't drop the egg so when one comes out, the other one that is the new egg will come out too so it seems like two but really they just never laid the one from the day before. Did they skip a day before laying the two?

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I think we were short one green egg yesterday... So then two eggs were laid at once?

4. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    Ya she laid two eggs today but, one is from yesterday and the other is from today. From what I have been hearing is that they create an egg every 24 hours but, they don't necessarily come out. So she already had one in there when the other one was coming out too. I'm new at this but, this forum is helping more than the books I've read. Its kind of amazing that it can just stay in there though. It sounds like its happening a lot this year so you might see more of it.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Maybe it is all the heat we've had... but you would almost think that would bring on their laying, lol. It finally rained today and I got more eggs than i have in a while!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by