2 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jvillechooks, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Jvillechooks

Jvillechooks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Our chicken laid her first eggs! 2 in one day. I am pretty sure it was her. The other 2 chickens aren't doing any egg laying behaviors and they are a few weeks younger than her!
    Also, she did not lay in the nesting box. Will she learn to lay in the nesting box? We built a coop according to specks. However, didn't open the boxes right away because we heard that will keep them from pooping in the nesting box. They sleep on roosts.

[​IMG]

2. chickenmommy25

chickenmommy25 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    HI! congrats on your eggs!! they are beautiful!! i had a chicken lay 2 eggs in one day, so i am glad to hear it has happened to someone else!! we didn't get our nesting boxes done in time because of weather, so the first 2 days my girls layed their eggs in the coop. as soon as we got the nesting boxes up and situated, we picked the girls up and physically put them in them, so they would see them and know they were there. after that they used the nesting boxes for laying the rest of their eggs! do you have "fake" eggs in the nesting boxes? golf balls, wooden/plastic eggs in the nesting boxes to show them what they are "suppose" to do? i wouldn't worry about it! they will figure it out!!

good luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  3. Jvillechooks

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks!, I might try putting her in there today. We did put golf balls in the boxes. All they have done is take some of the straw out and made a nest in the coop! Cute. ooo I her making the laying squawk now! [​IMG]

4. chickenmommy25

May 13, 2013
    how did it go???

5. Jvillechooks

Apr 6, 2013
    Laid just one egg. Silly girl made a nest in the same spot below the nesting box. Maybe we need to make a ramp to get to the nesting box? We will give her some time to get the hang of it.

6. chickenmommy25

May 13, 2013
    hmmmmmm. maybe making the nesting box easier to get to will help her. have you physically picked her up and put her IN the nesting box? that helped my girls.

keep me updated!!

7. Jvillechooks

Apr 6, 2013
    She is still laying just below the nesting box. Tomorrow I will put a little something for her to climb up to the nesting boxes...

8. GrammaGryphon

GrammaGryphon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    Funny, I have one chicken that ate her eggs for about a week, She stopped and started laying 2 a day for the past few days. Bizarre Girl.The really funny bit-the first day she didn't eat her egg she laid it in her food dish. And stood there looking at it, til DH came over and took it before she'd eat her brekkie. Very odd behaviour even from a Silly Chook!
    Best,
    Anne

9. CobaltChick

CobaltChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    You don't want an egg-eater in your flock... Trust me. Anyways, do you give your pullets any Oyster shells for calcium? That's what egg shells are made up of, so maybe she's trying to get more calcium to create the eggshells for her own eggs. I had an egg-eater that would eat her eggs and others. It was a pain. -_- The shells solved the problem real quick.

10. GrammaGryphon

GrammaGryphon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Wimberley Texas
    They get free choice calcium, yoghart, skinned out eggshells, fruit, veg, meat scraps you name it they've got it! their diet is better than mine. Grin.
    Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by