2 Eggs Mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CATRAY44, Aug 11, 2008.

1. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I have a really strange thing happening. Hoping someone on here can help me figure out what is going on.

I have 1 molting EE who, when not molting, lays huge green eggs. I have two 10 week old Isa Brown pullets, and one Mille Fluer D'uccle pullet, age 7 weeks. I have a new addition... a beautiful blue Cochin Mix pullet who has just started laying. I have had her for 3 days and starting yesterday and then again, today, she has laid 2 eggs at a time. Is this possible? My Isa B's do not have red combs- only pinkish and I would think they were way too young... Any ideas? The eggs have been laid sometime between 6:30a.m. and 1 :00 p.m. , both days. (If anyone wants to know where I got this super pullet, she is from Frizzlehen!)

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    What can I say? I raise SUPER hens! [​IMG]
    This little pullet is just 5 months old and has laid an egg a day since she started laying.

What are you feeding her Cathy? Super Layer?

Got me, I didn't think a pullet or hen could lay 2 eggs a day.

Anyone have any ideas as to how this little girl could be laying 2 eggs a day?

3. patienceprudencecharity

patienceprudencecharity Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2008
    Butler County, Ohio
    I have three Golden Buffs, and have gotten 4 eggs on several days. Most days I have at least one double-yolker, too. Sometimes there are two double-yolkers (5 yolks for 3 hens).

From what I've read, and my experience, some pullets have more trouble than others in getting into a rhythm with their laying. I don't think it is anything to worry about at all-- your hen is just a good layer! (I wonder if this happens more often with hybrids?)

I feed regular old Dumor layer crumble from Tractor's by the way.

[​IMG]

4. patienceprudencecharity

patienceprudencecharity Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2008
    Butler County, Ohio
    In a nutshell, what has happened is two eggs were released from the pullets ovary near the same time. If they are released REALLY close together you get a double yolker, is my understanding. A little further apart two eggs could happen. My experience has been that one of the eggs has a weaker shell in that situation.

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have 6 pullets in one coop and sometimes get 8 eggs.

6. CATRAY44

These eggs are beautiful little brown eggs.. they all seem exactly alike. Chickens just keep getting more and more interesting!! Thanks for the help... and by the way, Frizzlehen's other chickens are beautiful and her coop is awesome- all of her chickens look really clean and healthy!

7. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Remember in school when some one in class circulated a note and had every one drop their English Lit book at exactly 10:00? Maybe that's what this is because yesterday my little mutt hen laid me two eggs-normal sized eggs for her. I think there is some underground chicken network and they are messin with us.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but this mighty suspicious.

8. CATRAY44

Oh how funny! I wonder if this is happening to anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by