2 Eggs on Thursday and none since

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by garthmyers, Jul 5, 2011.

1. garthmyers

garthmyers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I have 5 sex-links 3 black and 2 red. Woke up Thursday to my first egg and had another one on thurday afternoon. Since then there has not been a single egg. Is this normal when hens first start laying eggs. I just assumed that once they started they would just continue to lay on a regual basis. any advice? Just as a PS i had a red sex link that ended up being a RIR rooster and we got rid of him on tuesday don't know it that matters.

2. Rowtag

Rowtag Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    It is not unusual that it takes them a little while to start laying regularly, give them a few weeks and they should sort themselves out. I do know that mine are not laying well right now due to stress from fireworks (drives me crazy every year). Hopefully they will start laying good for you soon.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    That is typical behavior from first timers. Its kind of like when you start a new job,your not really comfortable with it and takes a while with the procedures. They are the same way,its new to them and will take a month or so to get into the flow. But as they get laying they get into cycles,at least mine do. I will get 9,3 days in a row the get a 7 then an 8 followed by a 6. The wierd thing with mine,those 3 days of 9 there will a 6day interval of no 9s on the 7th day I will get 9 for 3 days. I have been tracking daily output as I looked at the chart I was surprised by the pattern.

4. garthmyers

garthmyers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    Thanks everyone for the info. I figured as much just wanted to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by