1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilstarshine7, Sep 2, 2014.

1. lilstarshine7

lilstarshine7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Anacoco, La
    I have 3 bantam cochins, i found 2 eggs this morning in nesting box but no one sitting on them. I wanted the momma to hatch, i am not sure who layed them or when, do I leave them or take them out? I have no way of incubating them myself right now. Any suggestions thank you

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    That's right, they will not start sitting on the eggs until they have finished laying the whole clutch. That's so the chicks all develop and hatch out at the same time. ;) If you want them to incubate the eggs, you'll want to leave the eggs where they are. Whoever is laying there should come back and lay more until they are finished with the clutch.

4. lilstarshine7

lilstarshine7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Anacoco, La
    I am new to this an learning, what happens if i removed the 2, i was told that since the momma wasnt sitting i should go ahead an remove them, since than she has layed another an it is my japanese bantam who is laying. Will she still sit after shes done , dang i feel bad should have waited for a response here, i have learned so much from this group.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I wouldn't feel bad having chickens, eggs and incubating are all learning curves even the most experienced people still learn things all the time. I would sneak the eggs back and let her continue building her clutch. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by