2 embryos in Call duck egg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TennesseeTruly, Jan 7, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    The egg isn't unusually large, maybe slightly larger than the others but not so much so that I even noticed. This morning when I was candling I saw two, clear as a day, embryos.

I don't think there's any chance for both to survive, is there? Anything I can do to help them both along to increase their chance of survival? I've seen so many people get so excited about twins but I'm so sad. I could lose both of them. If I had any idea this was a double yolker, I wouldn't have even set it. [​IMG]

Laurie

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Any candling pics on this we could see?

3. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
  4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I've tried to take pics while candling but they never come out. [​IMG] I just get an egg that looks like its on fire. I can actually see the two separate embryos and I just wanted to cry, the second I saw them. I candled all the other eggs to make sure I wasn't seeing things and nope, every other one just had one.

I'll see if hubby can help me with the candling later and maybe we can get a good picture of it.

Laurie

5. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Congradulations! Thats so cool;)

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good luck! [​IMG]

7. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Personally, I would try letting them hatch too. One of my Chicken Hens hatched out twins and they were perfect. Those twin chicks are now almost 3 years old living on a friend's farm :)

Michelle

8. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    That's neat. Just let nature take its course. Who knows you might get two for the price of one. Keep us posted.

9. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    there was a post a while back about duck twins...let me see if i can find it...

I couldnt find the post on here but i found the video... I guess it happened in the UK. Hope your babies make it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8323070.stm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You may have to help a bit during the hatch, but since the embryos already are growing, I would see it through to the end. It may not work, but there is a chance...especially with you knowing ahead of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by