2 eyes at 10 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mommysongbird, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Should I be seeing 2 'eyes' (moving dark spots) at 10 days incubation in 1 egg?? I don't remember from when we hatched in April if I ever seen 2 moving dots in one egg.

Out of our dozen from our pullets (6 white and 6 green/blue/olive) at least 4 white ones have movement and 2 of those have the 2 moving spots. The EE eggs, I am not sure, at least 2 are clear.

But what about those 2 with the 'moving eyes' are they possibly twins???

2. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Yea it could be a double yolked egg, they rarely result in 2 live chicks but with help they can hatch. There was a BYCer that had a thread on it last year & there's a YouTube video on it. I wouldn't hatch it on purpose because of the high fatality rate but if that is what you have good luck I hope they make it! (=

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Is it an X-Large jumbo egg?

4. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:No, far from that. It is a 'larger' pullet egg. We have already got one double yolk from this chicken, so it makes me wonder if I am not seeing 2 chicks in this egg???

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    You should definitely post pictures or video.

I have an egg at day 5 that I'm wondering about. It seems like I see an awful lot of veins, and maybe two dark spots. However, I'm so inexperienced at this that I'm probably wrong.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:No, far from that. It is a 'larger' pullet egg. We have already got one double yolk from this chicken, so it makes me wonder if I am not seeing 2 chicks in this egg???

If it is a double yolk it probably won't hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by