2 feed store chicks. What are they?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kavellion, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    I got a couple feed store chicks. Any idea what they are? One is reddish all over, the other is black with a white underside. Hopefully these pics link right. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    is the top one maybe an austrolorp? andthe second one could be a B.O. they're both very cute though [​IMG]

3. jmmre31

jmmre31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Front Royal
    Definitely not a BO. They are a lot lighter in color. Sorry I can't help identify. BOs are the only peeps I've had.

4. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    The reddish chick could be anything from a RIR to a RSL or even a RedStar. These all have RIR crossed with something. The black chick is not a BA because they look like they have on tuxedos! It may be a BSL. Anyone care to venture a guess? Anyone?

5. Kavellion

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    Ya I looked up Australorp chicks and there was a bunch in the tub and that one looks just like the rest. I am getting Meyer chicks this week also Spitzhauben hatching eggs from ebay but I just couldnt wait.

6. Kavellion

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    The brooder tub was 20, the heat lamp with bulb was 13, waterer and feeder about 10, brinsea glow brooder was 59. Then I built a huge A frame chicken coop prolly 60 for material. But get this chicks from the feed store 1.79 apiece lol.

7. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Congrats on the new babies.

8. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    The first chick has to be either a Australorp or a Barred Rock. The second chick has to be a RIR or Red star. Cute babies!!!![​IMG]

9. bigathena

bigathena Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    wesley chapel
    One is a rhode island red or prodection red and the other is probably a black austrolop, both egg layin breeds, usually what feed stores carry !

10. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:OH, yes! I know that one!! I got my six from the feedstore - maybe $8... and by the time the coop was done, and they'd grown up under the heat lamp.... and the food... probl'y $68/chicken! [​IMG] I think that's another example of chicken math![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by