Votes: 3 75.0%
  • She laid more eggs

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tammyr112

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2017
I put my female dove with what I guessed was a male. I saw him 'feeding' her, so figured I had guessed correctly. She laid 2 eggs but now, right at a month later, there are no babies. I was afraid they had not been together long enough for them to be fertile, but did not candle them.
Today there are now FOUR eggs.
Did she give up on them hatching and lay more, or was I wrong n I have 2 females?
All opinions welcomed
please and thank you in advance.

I think that there were probably two females because a mother bird wouldn't lay four eggs a month apart, that doesn't make sense. Then those babies would be too far apart and the mother would have to leave the unhatched eggs to show her older babies how to eat and drink and be real doves.

Yes, both doves brooded them (fiercely, lol) during that time.

One of the eggs was pushed out of the nest last night. It was slightly cracked and I threw it out. It had only yellow I in it, not like a chicken egg with a yolk and whites.

I am towards she gave up on them hatching n started over.

I think that there were probably two females because a mother bird wouldn't lay four eggs a month apart, that doesn't make sense. Then those babies would be too far apart and the mother would have to leave the unhatched eggs to show her older babies how to eat and drink and be real doves.
They first ones did not hatch...so they would not need feeding etc

Yes, both doves brooded them (fiercely, lol) during that time.

One of the eggs was pushed out of the nest last night. It was slightly cracked and I threw it out. It had only yellow I in it, not like a chicken egg with a yolk and whites.

I am towards she gave up on them hatching n started over.
Of the 3 eggs left, can you tell which is the old one?

I'll give you my uneducated guess, I think you more likely have a m/f pair because if both were females and ready to pair up and breed I feel they more likely would have laid 4 eggs (2 each) in the nest. Or even 2 eggs, then 2 more a couple weeks later. The lapse of 1 month seems right for one hen to be laying her second clutch and brooding them while the cockbird mostly feeds the older squabs for a while yet. I know you have no squabs, just sayin the interval seems correct. This could well be wrong as it's just a WAG, lol. I would try to candle to check development this time.
Best of luck:D

Of the 3 eggs left, can you tell which is the old one?

I'll give you my uneducated guess, I think you more likely have a m/f pair because if both were females and ready to pair up and breed I feel they more likely would have laid 4 eggs (2 each) in the nest. Or even 2 eggs, then 2 more a couple weeks later. The lapse of 1 month seems right for one hen to be laying her second clutch and brooding them while the cockbird mostly feeds the older squabs for a while yet. I know you have no squabs, just sayin the interval seems correct. This could well be wrong as it's just a WAG, lol. I would try to candle to check development this time.
Best of luck:D
My only education is one book, lol.
I an agreeing with you tho.
One of the eggs is dirty the other two beautifully clean.
Do you think I should throw out the old one? I think this would make it easier for them to keep the new ones under them.

I would throw out the old egg.

Oh and i will candle these, even if I get pecked a bit. Lol
Sometimes they peck, sometimes they slap you with their wings. :D Be slow and talk softly. IDK how many days to wait before candling pigeons eggs, maybe 4 -5 days?

So do you have pigeon doves(rock doves) or dove doves like ringneck doves?

Back
Top Bottom