2 Gallon, 5 Gallon, 12 Lb, 30Lb, What size??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by neversaychick, Apr 12, 2009.

1. neversaychick

neversaychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    We are getting ready to order our feeder and waterer for the new coop. I'm just not sure what size to get since this is our first go around. We will have 9 RIR hens and want to hang them. Is it possible to get the bigger of the sizes and not have to mess with it every day? Are there advantages to the smaller ones beside the others being big and bulky?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I don't know why you would want to immediately hang your new hens. I can understand that desire beginning to develop over time, however [​IMG].

Okay, as a rule of thumb [​IMG] - chickens drink about 2 to 3 pounds of water per pound of dry feed eaten. With 9 hens, they will go thru about 3 pounds of feed each day so you can expect the hens to need about 1 gallon of water daily.

A 12 pound feeder would only require refilling a couple times each week.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a larger waterer than 2 gallons. They need fresh water daily. It doesn't help to have all that extra capacity and then either leave it day-after-day or dump water on the ground every morning. In cold weather, they especially won't need all that extra.

Steve

3. neversaychick

neversaychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Eek, good gad, I did say I wanted to hang my chicks. [​IMG] I guess I need to try and focus on one thing at a time! Kids were calling when I was posting.

Thanks for the advice. It was exactly what I was looking for. [​IMG]

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    lol![​IMG]

5. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    bado chirp [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] said

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by