2 gallon bucket hanging feeder with pics

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickenaddict, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I was soo tired of wasting feed with the regular feeders I had and didn't have the money to invest in one of those huge hanging feeders st the feed store so I came up with this idea, and after seeing a few posts on how to make cheap feeders I thought I'd share my idea.

My Dh had some 2 gallon buckets out in the garage not being used so I cleaned them up,and drilled a few holes about 1/2 inch- inch above the bottom all the way around. I then took a galvanized steel pet dish/pan and drilled a hole in the bottom of that as well as directly in the midddle of the bottom of the bucket, scavenged a nut and bolt from DH's stash and attatched the steel pan to the bottom of the bucket allowing me to twist it every so often to get fresh feed into the pan.

The bucket-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The steel pan with a hole drilled in the bottom-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finished product-
    [​IMG]

You could easily make one with a 5 gallon bucket as well using a bigger deeper steel pan sold at fleet farm for about $7

I hang mine low enough for them to get their beaks in there and eat but high enough to keep them from getting their feet in there to kick out the feed. It is easy to take apart and wash and very inexpensive to make. [​IMG]

Note- You don't have to have as many holes at the bottom as I do, this model was our first one and we had the bigger holes too far up not letting enough feed down to the pan so we drilled some smaller holes a little lower.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Awesome idea! Thanks for posting

3. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Your welcome [​IMG]

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I used plastic house guttering with two end caps. Wall-mounted so that top is about 8" above floor. No spillage and no poop in it, ever! Pretty cheap too. Can work well for a watering trough as well.

I used to both feed and water from two such troughs, but now do my watering all outside. ( Easy most days even in wintertime in Tenn.)

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thats a great idea too gsim especially if a hanging feeder isn't an option [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by