2 girls and their pony.... well mini horse lol (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shadowpaints, Jun 20, 2011.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    today we finally got our little mini gelding, Mikey saddled for the girls to ride. Mikey is 6 years old and very well trained. he actually belongs to my 7 year old daughter, mackenzie . he is how our miniature horse addiction began, started with one, now, 6 years later, we have 20 LOL

im not asking for critisism wanted to share how much fun these little ones are !

[​IMG]
    mackenzie can now mount him all on her own she was very proud!!

[​IMG]
    adjusting her stirrups

[​IMG]
    on the long line, working

[​IMG]
    starting to back up!

[​IMG]
    a fast walk..

[​IMG]
    trotting

mackenzie has done SOOOOO much since she started, definatly better. she wants to ride him in the peewee barrles this year

Kayla,my youngest, shes 5 years old, she is doing well also, but her feet dont reach the stirrups lol

[​IMG]
    all she wanted to do today was work him on the long line

[​IMG]
    such concentration!

[​IMG]
    kayla is doing so well this year, she will be helping us train her little mare to ride this year!

and last, since mikey is mackenzies pony, a girl and her horse....
    [​IMG]

hope you enjoyed!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How cute!!!!! Minis are soooo stinkin precious. My neighbor has one, and I often want to break into his yard and play around.

3. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    lol they are fun, we train our minis from day one, as weanlings, its safe for our daughters to lead them, by the time they are 3-4 years old, they are ride-able and drive-able

we put lots of time and energy into them, and it sure shows [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

Quote:That is soooo cool! I loved your post too - im not asking for critisism wanted to share how much fun these little ones are !

LMAO!!!! Be here a while, huh? [​IMG]

5. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:That is soooo cool! I loved your post too - im not asking for critisism wanted to share how much fun these little ones are !

lol yeah a little bit. haha

6. debilorrah

lol yeah a little bit. haha

Fortunately this forum and the hatching one is pretty tame. NOTHING ever goes wrong in hatching, and only occasionally here. Those two are my favs for obvious reasons.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very cute pony!

How do you train them for riding if you can't actually ride them? I'm guessing probably just a lot of ground driving? I remember working a shetland who was small. He knew his commands but he was just a devil sometimes. When he took off on the girl who rode him and almost killed her on the trail, the owner asked if I could get him ready to be sold. Luckily I was light enough to ride him, but my legs were long and touched the ground! It was fun though! I never did like his personality though. I think sometimes people forget ponies and minis are horses and they treat them like dogs. There were a couple of really poorly behaved ones at the local qualifying show. They were doing halter and these things were just running around and around. Didn't seem fun to me at all! I can see yours is well trained though!

8. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:well, it starts from consistant training as a baby. we really halter train and start teaching them to give to pressure at a young age, we start longeing them as yearlings, and start ground driving them as 2 year olds. by the time they are ready to drive, they already know the cues, we drive them the spring they turn 3, and will longe them with a saddle on them for a month or so. then its time to have the kids to be led around on them... i have trained 10+ miniatures to be ridden by kids, and since we do such extensive work with them before we ever put a saddle on them, i have never had one buck, by the time we put the saddle on, they are so used to doing darn near everything that they dont care lol.

the biggest problem is like you said. many treat them like dogs. i think the key thing is that everyone remember, that no matter how small they are , theyre still horses, and need to be treated as such. they can be just as dangerous as big horses, they are right at the level to kick/bite/strike and cause some serious damage. we love our minis and wouldnt trade any of them for anything !

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Someday I would love to get a young mini to teach to drive. Right now I don't have the time, but hopefully once I get settled into a career and I am able to afford some property (I'm sure several years from now!) I will be able to. Driving a mini is so much more afforable around here and they are resilient little things! I often see people driving them on the trails. I've always wanted to train my riding horse to drive and I even spent some time with a trainer learning how and driving her horses. It was a blast! I never got around to it before my horse got into an accident though. When we got new horses, we were more preoccupied with just putting the finishing touches on them so we could bring 'em on the trail. Now college has kept me away from riding!

10. shadowpaints

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    they are fun to drive, and they can be trained for everything... most of our minis do halter, obstacle jumping and driving in the shows, along with lead-line [​IMG] our daughters handle every mini cept the stallions. since i cant safely handle the big horses, the minis were the next best and i haven't been disappointed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by