2 Girls behaving badly!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andreanar, Dec 2, 2014.

1. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I seen another post recently about a similar situation but didn't want to hijack the op's thread.
    I have a flock of 7 pullets, 8 months old. Both cuckoo Marans are driving me nuts. They peck and pull at my pants constantly. I push them away, they just keep coming back. I've poked them on the head, yelled, pushed them away, tried ignoring, picked them up when they are doing it. Nothing works. Occasionally, when they grab my pants, they get some skin and it hurts like hell!
    Neither is laying yet, but both are squatting and I expect an egg any day.
    This had been going on for about 3 weeks now. They are friendly, sit on my lap and nap, but relentless with this nipping. Anyone have any idea what I can do? Will this end once they start laying? I don't hand feed. Neither Marans is top hen in the flock.
    The offenders
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. Jamesriver

Jamesriver Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    Lexington, Virginia
    Sounds like they want your attention. I went to hand feed a hen just yesterday when another one reached over and bit my arm! That hurt like Hell. I picked her up and put her at the feed bowl and she started eating like she was starved. Throw some feed for your girls, that will distract them away from you. Good luck!

3. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for responding. Do you think this very annoying behavior will stop once they start laying?

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Laying eggs won't change this behavior! I agree with James; make sure you aren't rewarding the behavior with food, throw some scratch out there before these pullets are at your legs, not after. Just a thought; I've got a fish net on the wall in my coop, so if necessary I can catch a bird at any time. None of the birds are happy with this, and they stay away from the net! I could carry it when I'm out there, and be left alone. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by