2 gorgeous roosters - 8 months old - need home in or near Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by sharonelan, Jan 19, 2017.

1. sharonelan

sharonelan New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    We have a beautiful Ameracauna and a gorgeous (was supposed to be black sex-link!) black, gold, green young guy. We live in Santa Barbara, where we are not allowed to have roosters in the city. These boys have been raised by hand since they were hatched, and are very sweet. But they crow loudly - especially Prince Ali, the dark one, and our neighbors aren't happy!
    Please call Sharon at 805-895-4956 if you can give them a good home!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    You could try the No-Crow Rooster Collar for their crowing if you really want to keep them.
    It allows them to breath but not expand their throat enough to crow.

3. sharonelan

sharonelan New Egg

Jan 19, 2017
    Hi there - so an update on my rooster issue, and I'm replying to you because I don't know how to just add on to my last post for anyone that could be interested. So - I looked into the No-Crow Rooster Collar and saw that they were basically 2" wide velcro. My daughter and I made collars for our boys, starting them out loose, and as they kept crowing, kept making them tighter and tighter, without being too tight. They may have muffled the crows a little, but not enough, and we didn't have the heart to make them tighter than they were. They weren't happy about them, but got used to them....
    Meanwhile, we looked for homes for them. The first possibility was a man who wanted to come pick them up and take him to his property about 45 minutes away where he had 20 hens. Luckily, we decided to take the roosters and follow him up there. It was horrible. Not only did we not leave our boys, but we wanted to rescue all of his other animals! Then, we found a family 2 hours away, where they say they rescue farm animals and would be happy to take our roosters. My daughter and a friend drove there with our "boys", and though it wasn't ideal, left them there. Our boys are bonded - they grew up together. But there was another rooster where they put them, and that one attacked one of ours. The people pulled the other one out, and put him somewhere else. But of course we don't know what's happening since my daughter left. I asked them to send me a video, and they did. It shows our 2 boys just standing off by themselves, with all the chickens on the other side of the pen. The people said they're "doing good". But I don't know. I really wish we could have kept them! This isn't an official "farm sanctuary", just a family, and I'm not totally sure that they then don't sell the animals they've "rescued". But after months of my neighbor's complaints, we took the chance that they would have good lives at this place. Our girls and we miss them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by