2 hatched on day 22- 10 still lingering....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aabbott, Apr 30, 2011.

1. aabbott

aabbott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    no noise coming from the 10- but the 2 that hatched raised havoc with the 10 unhatched.... did the 2 affect the others? how long do I need discard and try again?[​IMG]

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Did you candle before lockdown? Have you kept the humidity up? I'd go a couple more days at least....

3. aabbott

Apr 30, 2011
    yes we did candle- and everything was fine- but tomorrow will be day 25 in the incubator and from what I have read that is the limit...yes?

4. aabbott

Apr 30, 2011
    yes we did candle- and everything was fine- but tomorrow will be day 25 in the incubator and from what I have read that is the limit...yes?

5. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    I had the same thing happen to me! I had 10 bantams in the incubator and 2 hatched on days 19 and 20 and then the rest did nothing. I candled them right before I put them in lockdown and saw movement and development in all 10 of them. I waited till today to give up which was day 25. I thought at first my problem was too high humidity, but them my 5 quail eggs I had in there too all hatched so I have no idea what went wrong.

6. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    By this point, maybe do a float test and if there aren't any wiggles....call it quits [​IMG]

7. aabbott

Apr 30, 2011
    We are somewhat disappointed for out first hatch as we are using our own eggs. [​IMG] what is a float test and how is it done? I would like to try it just to be sure. Today is day 25- so from what I have read it is the last day to incubate if any will be born- we are ready to clean up and try again later today- Thanks for the helpful posts-

8. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Put warm water in a large bowl or pan. You put the eggs in the water and wait for everything to get still. If an egg wiggles, indicating a living chick, it will make ripples in the water. I've done that after every hatch just to make sure I wasn't tossing something living.

[​IMG] I'm really sorry your first hatch didn't go better.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I do the float test too !

10. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    At this point its okay to start at the large end of the egg and start peeling away. If it bleeds then the chick is alive so proceed with caution. If you see no blood the carefully peel the membrane away. You will be looking for the position of the chick, whether or not its pipped, and how far along it is. Knowing what went wrong can help you improve future hatches!!! If you are unsure take pictures as you go and post them on here, there are some very knowledgeable people who can help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by