2 hatched update with pick scroll down

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jessaw1981, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I have 15 courtnix eggs in bator and 2 have hatched no more have pipped ? I am so scared for them. how long should I wait for the others ?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Just hold on! [​IMG]

Give them another two to three days... mine always have a lookout (one hatching before everyone else) then they wait a day, then they ALL pop out! [​IMG] Have no fear!

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yup, they'll hatch over about 3 days.

4. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    well can I open the bator and get the other ones out I just hate to leave them over night. But want to do what is best.

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I'd leave them in, they will be fine up to 48 hours. Then you may want to open up and evacuate!

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Dont Recommend Leaving Any Speces Of Gamebird In The Hatcher For More Than 12-16 Hrs. 24 At Absolute Most. They Are Not Like Other Types Of Poultry, The Yolks Arent Nearly As Sustaining On These Guys They Need Food And Water Asap After Hatching. Remove Once Dry And Fuzzy. Do Not Worry About Opening The Incubator The Humidity Will Correct Itself After Opening And It Wont Affect Your Future Hatch. Now Lemme Clarify This--- Dont Throw The Inbutor Open To The World And Stand There Talking Baby Talk To The New Chicks For 45 Minutes Marveling At How Cute They Are And Whatnot... Open The Lid Far Enough To Get A Hand In There And Quickly But Gently Snatch The Early Birds Or Dry Chicks Ready For Removal And Close The Incubator--- All Will Be Fine.

If Your Overly Worried About Opening The Bator Look At This Way.... 1 Or 2 Hatched Live Chicks Are Worth Risking The Unhatched Eggs That You Have No Idea Of Viability Or Probability Of Hatch But, If The Live Already Hatched Chicks Are Left For 48 Hrs To Await The Rest Of The Batch They Will Most Likely Die--- A Bird In The Hand....

7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I do like JJMR says. My quail hatches for the day are in the brooder now. The ones that hatched after seven tonight, I'll put in the brooder when I get up in the morning along with any other that are dry. I have been doing this every 12 hours since this started around 11AM yesterday.

Now my chicken chicks, they stay in the bator 12-24 hours. But I like to get them food and water, faster too.

Oh, if you didn't read prior posts about them biting at toes. Cause the brooder is to warm. Turn it down just a notch. Tonight the little bugers are nipping at toes and wings if I have the temp over 93 degrees. I tried raising it and they go back to biting toes. Think their worms.

Night.

8. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    well I took them out. Did not know what to do I don't have many eggs left. I am worried about there water I lined it with rock but they are so tiny I don't know how they will get any water. here is some pics. Tell me what you think !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ALSO A GOOD ARGUMENT FOR NOT GIVING THEM MEAL WORMS UNTIL ALMOST GROWN.... IT TEACHES/ STIMULATES THIS BEHAVIOR IN CHICKS. IF AGRESSION IS REALLY UGLY (DOUBTFUL WITH COTURNIX, BUT I SUPPOSE IT HAPPENS FROM TIME TO TIME...) RED LIGHT FOR HEAT SOURCE INSTEAD OF WHITE AND IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY LIGHT DEPRIVATION WITH RED HEAT LAMP ONLY. BUT THE COOLING EFFECT WORKS BEST, SEEMS ITS HARD TO BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF YOUR BROODER BUDDY IF YOUR COLD--- WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK? JUST DONT LET THEM HUDDLE AND THEY WILL BE FINE [​IMG]

FOR THE RECORD, I REMOVE CHICKS OFTEN. I DO LIKE 1 WET SCREAMER TO BE LEFT IN THE HATCHER AS IT SEEMS TO WAKE UP UNHATCHED CHICKS AND GET THEM BUSY HATCHING. I JUST ROTATE THEM OUT AS SOON AS A NEW KID HATCHES. ALSO IF YOU HAVE A HATCH STEADILY HAPPENING IT CAUSES A HUMIDITY SPIKE... SO AS THEY DRY OFF THE HUMIDITY CLIMBS... I QUESS ITS NATURES WAY OF CORRECTING THINGS AROUND THOSE OF US WHO CANT WAIT [​IMG]

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Jessa I Recommend More Rocks Or Marbles In The Water Font--- Dont Worry They Will Instinctively Seek Out Water To Drink And Are Quite Good At Getting Their Lil Beaks Down In There To Get It, But However They Suck At Staying Dry. And If They Get Wet They Will Most Likely Die From Hypothermia Dispite Your Heat Source. Keep The Tray Full Of Rocks And The Water Font As Far Away From The Heat Source As You Can--- This Will Make It Harder For Them To Get Wet.

Now For Food, The Best Way I Have Found Is Sprinkle Small Amounts Around The Brooder On The Floor, They Will Find It And Instinctively Peck At It Out Of Curiosity, This Helps Teach Them To Eat. Place A Shallow Pan With Food Directly Under The Heat Source And A Nice Shiney Dime On Top Of The Food In It Works Wonders To Stimulate Lil Curious Feathered Minds... [​IMG]

Remember Baby Quail Will Never Qualify For Rocket Science School--- They Just Arent The Brightest Crayons In The Box. They Will Instinctively Drink And Seek Heat And Water, But Must Learn To Eat--- Hopefully Before They Starve To Death. The Best Way Here Is Use That Heat Seeking Behavior And Any Curiosity They Have To Your Advantage--- Food Under Heat, With A Shiney Trinket To Grab Short Attention Spans [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by