2 healthy chicks die suddenly over the past two hours

kgrose

Hatching
Feb 19, 2016
I just had two chicks 12 days old die. They didn't show any symptoms. I just played with them both a couple hours ago and both were fine. Then suddenly one died about two hours ago, and another one died just an hour ago. We held the second one, she was sleepy and chipping but so weak, she couldn't stand, we put her down and not even a minute later rolled over and died.

I'm worried about my other chicks that were in the same cage with them. I've moved them to a new tote with new bedding, water, and food; I also don't see any of the others to be sleepy. They're all eating and drinking and moving around fine.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what it could be?

I check their bottoms daily and put Vaseline on when needed, I don't believe it was pasty butt. Their vents were clear.

Provided your brooder temp is correct and they are eating the proper food, coccidiosis is always at the top of the list when previously healthy chicks suddenly start dying. Signs can be hard to catch unless you've seen it before but lethargy is the most common early sign. It would be wise to get some Corid and just go ahead and run a course of it to protect the others.

It's 90 degrees in there for them. I put their food and water at the other end of the tote away from the heat and they were all moving around fine to get to it. The poo looked normal as well. It was solid with a white cap.

Back
Top Bottom