2 hens aren't laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LittleChicken23, Jun 5, 2016.

1. LittleChicken23

LittleChicken23 Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Hello! I have 2 almost-year-old white leghorns (one of them is probably not purebred but that's beside the point). As far as I know, they have never laid any eggs.

They don't seem to squat for my rooster, and they never have squatted for me when I pick them up. They are healthy and happy, and have never had any issues. They get either layer feed (18% protein I think?) or a 'mixed flock' feed (I think it has around 20% protein, but I'm not sure).

They both free range everyday, so it's possible that they lay somewhere random. I have seen both of them sitting in nest boxes and they both (very occasionally) join in with the other girls' egg songs. Thoughts?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Try locking them in the coop for a week or so, in case they have a hidden nest somewhere. Have you looked REALLY hard for it? I have had pullets start laying eggs at eleven months of age, but that's certainly not typical of Leghorns! It's also possible that there's some health issue, but probably not both of them. Mary

3. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

look at their vents (i know it seems gross but it works) if their vent is large and moist they are laying, if it's small and dry they aren't

4. LittleChicken23

LittleChicken23 Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    I'll try really looking around for any white eggs (my other hens lay brown eggs), and I'll take a look at their vents too. Thanks guys!

5. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Any missing feathers? If so my be molting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by