2 hens coughing out of the bunch..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RForbes, Jan 27, 2014.

1. RForbes

RForbes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    We got 7 hens a few weeks ago. For a few days we noticed a couple of them are sneezing and eyes look a bit funky.. those hens were vaccinated they have the bands on their wings.. is there cause to worry? Are they infecting the rest of our flock? What should we do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If they are with your flock already they have already exposed them. Any new chickens should always be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days before introducing them to your other hens. They sound like they have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, or coryza. There are some others. Is there any bad smell around the head, any bloody mucus, or rattles when they breathe? The most common vaccines are for coccidiosis and Mareks disease, but most people don't vaccinate for respiratory diseases. Antibiotics such as Tylan50 injection, Tylan Soluble Powder, Gallimycin, or Oxytetracycline in the water may help your hens. These diseases are contagious and all chickens exposed become carriers. Here is some reading for you: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. RForbes

Jan 24, 2014
    Wow that doesn't sound too good. There doesn't seem to be any other symptom other than the one funky eye on both hens and the sneezing. I'm thinking when we moved them from the breeder to our house and then to the coop they all piled up on top of one another, it almost looked like maybe some eyes got poked? We'll keep an eye on them.. Hubby just told me that last batch we got from him (2 & 3 wk olds) a couple were sneezing but it all stopped after a little while. Tks for your reply

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sneezing can be caused by the dust from pine shavings or feed in the coop. Mold can cause it too. Just keep an eye on the eyes (LOL) and if you see any yellow runny stuff from eyes or any snots, get some AB's.

1 person likes this.
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Never put new chickens in with your flock till you have properly quarantined them for a week at least so as to see if they brought you any unwanted gifts [​IMG]

Put Probiotic in their water and give them some cooked up and mashed up egg's as this is a natural nutrients they need and if you want cook them up some rice and instead of adding water to the rice add chicken soup, my sound odd but it really works I learned this back in the 1960's from my Grandpa so it is nothing new and been used for many years before the modern Vet...

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. RForbes

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks Eggcessive, you can tell we're so green, but good advice, we'll make sure next time. Since yesterday we payed closer attention and turns out more than we thought are affected.

Gander thanks for your tips, we just left a message for our vet but will look into your home remedy. Have to figure out where to get the probiotics.. Any tips on how much or how long we have to feed them this stuff? We have a flock of 20, and looks like our good ole rooster is gurgling too when he breathes now :(... What a mess.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Probiotics you can pick up at you local feed store where ever you get your chicken feed supplies it should come in a three pack and be around 4 dollars on the high side ......

8. RForbes

Jan 24, 2014
    OK we're on our way to town to get some probiotics & chicken broth (I'll cook a chicken tonight or tomorrow and keep the broth from that too) So sorry but here are more Questions:

1 Do we need to heat the chicken coop?

2 If they remain carriers as I've read will they pass it on to any new arrivals and/or their offspring

3 Is it contagious for us or our cat

Anything else? Thanks so much for all your help much appreciated

PS can you believe we can't buy probiotics around here? I called all feed supply stores I know and nope.. dunno if it's a Canada thing or not.. so now waiting to hear from our vet about treatment :S $$$ :( Thinking of just offing the roos that we were gonna butcher in couple more weeks, now we can't eat them.. And my Q 2 remains, will their offspring be touched by either the infection or the antibiotic, which I don't like either way.. Arrrrrgh are we better off just killing them all and starting fresh?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well, I hate to tell you what you probably already know, but it sounds like you've brought home something nasty with the new birds.

The problem with respiratory diseases is they so often quickly morph right into pneumonia, that is often what kills the birds rather then the disease itself. If your rooster is making gurgling sounds I would strongly suggest starting him and any others who are symptomatic on antibiotic's. And yes, keep them warm, especially at night, until they recover. Probiotic's aren't going to hurt but they aren't going to save your birds in this instance.

Tylan 50 is an excellent antibiotic for respiratory bugs, it can be found at most any decent feed store or Tractor Supply. It is an injectable but you can give it orally if needles are not your thing. Many of these diseases are viral, some are bacterial. Antibiotic's won't cure a viral disease but it will help prevent nasty secondary bacterial infections.

Keep in mind that whatever this disease is, your birds that survive will be carriers. Many of the symptoms of the different diseases mimic each other so diagnosis depends on testing. Either have a dead bird necropsied or have labs done on a live bird.

Whether it's contagious to humans depends on what it is, most are not but a few are, I believe Newcastle is one of them but that needs double checking!

Good luck with your birds, we've been down that road here, not fun.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. RForbes

Jan 24, 2014
    Yeah I hear you cafarmgirl, thanks for your input. Hubby and I talked and we decided to depopulate our flock unfortunately. We don't want to take any chances, and don't want to breed chicks that are or have been sick. Or with antibiotics. The main reason for raising our own birds is to stay away from stuff like that ;). We want to raise for meat and eggs so we want those to be as organic as possible. Sorry to hear you went through the same, it really sucks. But, live and learn. We will just start fresh. I will try to find a reputable breeder in Canada where I can get fertilized eggs. We purchased an incubator and can't wait to try it anyway ;)

Thanks again everyone for all your input, I'm loving this website and forum and all the helpful peeps on it :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by