2 hens dead in 2 days no sign of injury or illness

JLS

Love my feathered babies!
13 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Two days ago I found a 2 year old hen dead. Rigor mortis had not yet set in. There were no signs of injury or illness. She died laying on her stomach with her legs straight out behind her, as if she had just fallen forward while standing. I have had chickens for 11 years. I have never found one dead in this position. Fast forward two days, just now I found a second hen dead (same breed - buff orpington - and date of birth) in the same position. It has not been exceedingly hot the past few days. The only things that are new/different is a 'flock block' and table scraps which included various lettuces, leftover pork spare ribs, bread. All of the food scraps were fresh, no mold. No mites or lice are present. Both birds were vibrant, robust, and lively just hours before they died. The flock is housed in a large converted shed and have a huge fenced run. They do not free-range due to heavy predation risk.

Any thoughts about possible causes of death? I have absolutely no idea why this is happening.
😭🤷🏼‍♀️ I have 8 remaining hens - same age - Buff Orpington, Easter Eggers, Polish.

Back
Top Bottom