2 hens fighting over one nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kiwi-chookn, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kiwi-chookn

kiwi-chookn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Hi guys.
    Im wondering if my hens are ruining the chances of hatching anything at all.
    Both bantams with top-knots,not sure of the breed,maybe silkies?
    They have been laying in the same box,till they layed around 12 eggs,now they have both gone to sit on them and only one has the eggs to sit on.Should I move some eggs for the other to hatch,or just leave them to argue and take turns sitting on the clutch?
    Also,im wanting some full size birds,would it be fine to buy some fertile eggs and remove the bantam eggs to replace them with the bigger eggs?
    Im thinking 12 is a rather large lot of eggs for one little banty to hatch?
    Sorry for all the questions guys.
    Thanks alot.
    Jason the Kiwi chookn [​IMG]

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Sorry I don't have your answers, but....[​IMG]

3. kiwi-chookn

Aug 15, 2009
    thanks for that [​IMG]

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're sure they're both really broody, I'd split them into two clutches and let them each have a clutch. That's just me though. Mark them all in case another hen adds eggs to them so you can pull off any 'new' ones.

I have seen two hens share one nest/clutch successfully, but they were unusuall I think.

5. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I just had two Silkies hatch one clutch of 7 eggs without any fuss but after they hatched I took them out of the coop and divided the chicks between the two so there would be no fighting. I made the mistake last time of leaving the chicks in there thinking the mothers would protect them. The roos and other hens attacked and killed all of them.

6. kiwi-chookn

Aug 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

thats a little sad aint it.
    I just tried to catch one of the hens to put her on her own nest,but she got out of the coupe and flew off,so id expect her home around dusk to eat and sit again.
    there is now 15 eggs for one hen to hatch,if the other ends up as hawk food,will one hen cope with that many eggs?

Also,should I not let the other chickens see me processing the roosters?Or will they be happy to see em go?
    I just dont want to upset the sitting cycle for the hens?
    Thanks alot guys.[​IMG]

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't worry too much about having other chickens see you cleaning/plucking birds, but I'd take them seperate area to kill them so they others don't get flustered. It's best to keep everyone calm.

8. kiwi-chookn

Aug 15, 2009
    well,i dispatched one of the roo's,did not enjoy it at all,then to find how small he was after processing him.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,wont be doing that again,actually im rather bummed out.[​IMG]

I suppose ill have to buy some "Meaties" or (Cobb's) so they are named here in New Zealand.
    Thanks for your help in any case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by