* 2 Hens In 1 Nest: Please Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TommyVT05, Mar 1, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hi All,

I have a question regarding the egglaying behavior of hens. Today, I found out that my longtail hens both layed in one nest, but in different area of the nest. Its a pretty big nest, 20 inches deep and 15 inches wide and both are bantams.

So...one has a batch of 4 eggs in the back and one has a batch of 2 eggs in the front. Somehow, they evenly divided their own nest within the nest. [​IMG]

So...so I leave it be so they can go broody whenever they want and each hatch out their eggs in one nest or they won't do that? I never had this problem before so I don't know. I don't want to push all the eggs in one section either because what happens if one goes broody before the other and the other one havn't stopped laying yet.

I need your help!!!

Thanks [​IMG]

- Tommy

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey Tommy, I would collect the eggs and put down fake eggs. When the girls go broody, put their eggs back under them. I have cochins and they always ( well most of the time) have a broody partner. The problem with them not being confined is that the other hens will lay their eggs in the broody's nest. So you may want to mark the eggs you want hatched and take any new ones out each day. I don't know anything abut longtails but cochins have no problem sharing a nest. When one gets up the other ususally steals her eggs and vise versa. I usually even them up at night so all eggs are cover well during the cold night. Hatch rates are GREAT and I even had 2 hens hatch out 10 eggs during single digit temps. this winter. Good luck with you girls. Hope you have a great hatch.
    Gayle

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Gayle,

I have tried this before with my other longtails and the hens basically ignors her eggs once you touched it...(bring it in and out and such) so yeah. They are picky PICKY birds...thats perhaps why they are worth so much because its harder to get chicks out of them naturally.

It only gets to about 48F lowest here at night so I think the eggs will do fine in the nest. Its well surrounded by hay and the box is made of compressed wood...maintains a good temp.

My main concern is if the two hens will remain that way and lay their eggs on their own spot in the nest and they can be nice when both are sitting on their eggs in 1 nest [​IMG]

If all works out well, I have have about 20 eggs from both and if they both set @ the same time...that'll be even nicer [​IMG]

- Tommy

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Well you know your birds better than I do, so guess you should do what feels right to you. If it doesn't work, at least you will know next time. Good luck on hatching those 20 eggs. Do the birds pretty much get along when they are not broody? If not, they probably won't get along on the same nest. I just love my little banty cochins. [​IMG] Although, I have to wonder if they have any brains in their littly banty heads. Not only did they lay all winter but they tried to hatch their eggs all winter too. Michigan had some miserable cold weather this year.

5. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Gayle,

Oh wow, its pretty cold there then huh? The coldest it got here (San Diego, CA) for this winter was about 34F @ night. Hehe. It has warmed up ever since. Coldest now @ night is 47F and avg. has been 50F.

Anyhow, yeah, the hens have been together for months so they are good buddies. A Trio so they all got along fine [​IMG]

Yeah, I do hope they go broody together, set eggs together, raise chicks together, like B.B.Fs would be fun to watch. Haha. Both raising chicks together would be fun to watch too because its a lot of heat in one nest and if the chicks from both hatch around the same time, the mothers won't be hard on each others kids...will they? [​IMG]

- Tommy

6. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Yeah,

They are currently doing fine. One layed 5 on her little corner and one layed 3 in her little corner. Its great how they divided among themselves in just ONE BOX. Pretty neat. BTW, imma go take a picture of that now and upload it tonight when I have time. Check back tonight [​IMG]

- Tommy

7. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Once they start setting they will most likely start fighting. Broody hens do not like other hens (or you either for that matter) close to them. Once the hens hatch the babies they will most certainly fight. They will not accept the other hens babies and could peck them to death. I would wait until they are broody and set them up in their own areas where they will not be bothered by each other.

8. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    I didn't get to take the pictures today. I was so busy. School...[​IMG] haha
    Anyhow, I will get the picture sometime tomorrow or Wed.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to seperate them when they start going broody. The two have been together for a while, they lay together, eat together...etc...does that still mean they will peck @ each other and such when they both go broody at the same time anyways? Wow...thats too bad. I thought it would actually be fun and unique if they got along hatching the eggs out too! [​IMG]

By the way, my Jungle Fowl hens both layed 5 eggs today, 5 on their own boxes and are pretty consistant with their laying habits. Earlier tonight, I went outside to check on the chickens and when I reached to pet one of the hen...she made this..."errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound...like a sound I heard from mother hens before back in the days...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] <---does that mean she will start going broody? Sign of broodyness? If it is....I would be so HAPPY!!! [​IMG]

- Tommy

9. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Cool, some hen-on-hen action pics! [​IMG]

10. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Lol...[​IMG]

Thats so funny what you said [​IMG]