2 hens in 1 nest

delfargo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
some corn field in central il.
my chickens are insane. 2 have gone broody in the past 2 weeks, won't get out of the nest boxes 'till i drag 'em out, and when i do, the other hens chase them around and peck at them. they freak out and run around and end up jumping back up in the nests.
so...last night, i go to close up the coop after they had all gone in to roost and i peaked over at the nest boxes. i saw one of the hens was still in the nest, so i walked over to give her a pet (i have given up on trying to drag her out at night, she just hops back in) and much to my surprise, the OTHER broody hen was IN THE NEST WITH HER! 2 chix crammed into the same nest box. crazy.
i don't know if they are doing it to keep warm, or if they are keeping each other company and have "bonded" because everybody else chases them. is this kind of thing normal?
i guess i'm gonna have to do something to break this broody behavior cuz with these 2 being broody as well as alot of the others starting to molt, the egg production is suffering.
crazy birds, i tell ya, CRAZY !!!

My hens do it all the time, They sit on eggs together and when the babies hatch they parent together and Still lay on the babies together, it is so cute to watch

Back
Top Bottom